Wireforming workbench

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
timthelion

Wireforming workbench

Post by timthelion »

Hello all,

I am in need of an easy to work with wire forming workbench. I have come up with a design for one here: http://timothy.hobbs.cz/wireforming-wor ... index.html .

I'm interested to hear feedback. I don't know when exactly I will write the code for this, or IF I will write the code for this ;) . I am considering putting up the proposal on freelancer.com just for laughs :twisted: not that I expect to get usable code out of that. I've never tried doing such a thing before...

Tim
PrzemoF
Veteran

Re: Wireforming workbench

Post by PrzemoF »

That looks like a "one dimensional" version on Sheet Metal workbench - maybe they could share some common code?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11303&start=10
timthelion

Post by timthelion »

You are right, that I should be able to use the extrude function form sheet metal verbatim. They also have a bend function that could be coaxed into working as a wireforming bend function. There is no turn function there. The UI is also rather different. I would like to have a table style UI for wireforming so that the wire forms could be edited. I don't think such a table style UI is useful for sheet metal, however, since one tends to modify the sheets by punching holes in them, so editing using a table style operation set isn't possible.

Thanks for your tip,

Tim
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Interesting idea and approach for modifying parameters. Will follow your progress.