PartDesign Next

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: PartDesign Next

Post by sgrogan »

Congratulations all involved :)
ickby wrote:for everyone else: now when you encounter a ton of bugs please report on mantis and assign it to me (Project Partdesign, 0.17). I will loose overview if bugs are reported in threads!
@ickby, do you have a preferred location to triage the bugs? I'm sure there will be packing or misunderstandings with the new usage. Of course they should be reported on mantis after being triaged, but hopefully we can find a centralized location to discuss, so everything is not everywhere and you get a boat load of incomplete or non-bug bugs.
Thanks again for all the effort everyone put into this.
"fight the good fight"
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

sgrogan wrote: @ickby, do you have a preferred location to triage the bugs? I'm sure there will be packing or misunderstandings with the new usage. Of course they should be reported on mantis after being triaged, but hopefully we can find a centralized location to discuss, so everything is not everywhere and you get a boat load of incomplete or non-bug bugs.
Thanks again for all the effort everyone put into this.
I think it is important to not have everything in one large thread, as this will be not manageable. I think best is to open a thread for each topic in the Part Design development forum. As long as it all is fresh and new it is best grouped in the development section.
ian.rees

Post by ian.rees »

Nice work! Thanks and congratulations! -Ian-
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

The automatically resizing datum planes are awesome. I'm always resizing them in the commercial CAD software I use at work!

But it's odd that the XZ_Plane orientation is reversed, i.e. facing backward rather than forward.
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

NormandC wrote:But it's odd that the XZ_Plane orientation is reversed, i.e. facing backward rather than forward.
I don't get what you mean, the normal is on the Y+ axis, as usual (well as usually in Automotive... in other engineering field I don't know)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

1. Create a new document
  2. Create a body
  3. Under the Body, toggle the visibility of BodyOrigin; notice the placement of the XZ_Plane label.
    FC_PDNext_BodyOrigin_01.png
    FC_PDNext_BodyOrigin_01.png (14.24 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
  4. Select the XZ_Plane and click on Create sketch. Notice that the animation rotates the view so the normal vector of the XZ_Plane is (0,1,0).
nemesis wrote:I don't get what you mean, the normal is on the Y+ axis, as usual
As usual? In what software? In Solid Edge and SolidWorks, the XZ plane vector is actually (0,-1,0) so that when you set the view to front and create a sketch on XZ plane, there is no rotation of the view.

The XZ_Plane orientation facing backward as it is now is just counter-intuitive IMHO.
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

Ok, I get it.
Indeed Catia is not in the same Isometric view by default, (that's I misunderstand you) so you are facing the XZ plane normal, and the sketch orientation is along Y axis (as in freecad, or maybe freecad is as in catia, as IMHO FreeCAD is looking more and more like Catia, but I'm not CAD guy)

I looked at teamcenter viewer, and it's also another default isometric view. (which is off-topic according to sketch orientation)
Attachments
Triedre.PNG
Triedre.PNG (253.94 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
cox

Post by cox »

NormandC wrote:Select the XZ_Plane and click on Create sketch. Notice that the animation rotates the view so the normal vector of the XZ_Plane is (0,1,0).
This trips me up as well(if it is the same issue), when you make a sketch on a plane or a face the model rotates so that the object you attached the sketch to rotates into view and obscures the face/plane you where working on. This makes me ether turn viability off the part obscuring my view or rotate the whole model making me work mirrored compared to my intentions.

On a general note by now, all I can say is "So much POWER" :D :D :D awesome!
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
cox

Post by cox »

PartDesign Next has been quoted many times in the past as being the preferred solution to problems. One of these problems has been when one wants to attach a sketch to a curved surface eg. Attaching a pipe to a pipe accurately/parametric at an angle without using helping objects that has to be removed afterwords.

So I have been trying some things:

1 Attaching a sketch to cylinder surface : Fails with "You need a planar face as support for a sketch!"
2 Placing a datum point on the cylinder face: Fails with "There are no attachment modes that fit seleted objects. Select something else."
3 Placing a datum line on the cylinder face: Fails with "There are no attachment modes that fit seleted objects. Select something else."
4 Placing a datum plane on the cylinder face: Fails with "There are no attachment modes that fit seleted objects. Select something else."

So consider this a challenge, all good children of FreeCAD, how to do?

I think trying to come up with examples "from the past" where PartDesign Next was expected to be a possible solution, could be a good way of testing, educating and showcasing the new workbench. What do you think? Go forth and find challenge :D
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Indeed there seems to be no viable attachment mode for a plane on a cylinder. But this is easily added, please create a feature request I the tracker assigned to me for this.

I like the idea of a use case collection