appimage

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: appimage

Post by triplus »

I don't have time to do any test ATM. But @Kunda1 do you have default (application) web browser set in your environment? On Ubuntu (GNOME) it is easy to change/set one.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/79305/ho ... lt-browser

Here is the documentation for Arch:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/de ... plications

And it says such setting depends on the desktop environment used. Therefore i am guessing you likely don't have it set. I found some reference:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... on-manjaro
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

triplus wrote:I don't have time to do any test ATM. But @Kunda1 do you have default (application) web browser set in your environment?

Code: Select all

ghee@beast ~]$ xdg-settings get default-web-browser
firefox.desktop
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Follow up to the web browser issue. I ran Appimage from the console and the output I got recreating the issue was:

XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/firefox/libxul.so:
/usr/lib/firefox/libxul.so: undefined symbol: sqlite3_expanded_sql
Couldn't load XPCOM.
Reading up on this at https://forum.manjaro.org/t/firefox-kde ... ul-so/4510 seems like a Manjaro/FF issue. Will report once I remove FF, restart, and re-install.

Edit: Confirmed that changing the default browser to Chrome fixed the issue. But I'm getting very slow loading times and it's not my inet connection.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi Kunda1.

Thanks for confirming. Reinstalling Firefox didn't fix the problem for Firefox?

P.S. If this is related to some bug on certain Linux distribution i am not exactly sure on how much sense does it make to investigate it from AppImage point of view.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi @probono.

External dependency matplotlib can't be imported successfully. If python-matplotlib package is installed i can import matplotlib:

import matplotlib
Successfully from FreeCAD Python console. But trying to do the same in FreeCAD packed as AppImage it doesn't work. Any chance this could be fixed easily or python-matplotlib package would need to be added in AppImage? That would likely add to the size of AppImage substantially.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:01 pm But trying to do the same in FreeCAD packed as AppImage it doesn't work.

import sys
sys.path.append("/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/")
import matplotlib
works for me with FreeCAD-0.17.git201705302024.glibc2.17-x86_64.AppImage :
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.11174 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 0e9c1c076e311f2c3903cfa9de87c8c88daa79de
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Native System kubuntu 14.04
"fight the good fight"
prokoudine

Post by prokoudine »

To whomever builds appimages. I'm very grateful for this, as it greatly simplifies testing new stuff. One minor suggestion would be including IfcOpenShell into the build for opening/saving IFC files. Currently it doesn't seem to be there and it doesn't see the library even if it's installed to /usr. Thanks!
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi @prokoudine.

Likely we won't be adding more external software/libraries to AppImages any time soon. Can you test the suggestion by @sgrogan (by changing/adding the path to IfcOpenShell location)? To see if such solution applies to IfcOpenShell and you can import the library in FreeCAD after successfully.

P.S. Would do the tests myself but i don't have IfcOpenShell installed ATM.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:17 pm P.S. Would do the tests myself but i don't have IfcOpenShell installed ATM.
I know this works on Ubuntu 14.04 (I have a macro on my system that does this) from memory I think the path to a self compiled/installed ifcopenshell was

/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/
I wonder if it would be simpler to just symlink it into .FreeCAD folder? I'm on windows only but I will test this later.
"fight the good fight"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Creating symlink in such way would likely only work for Python module where everything is contained in a single file. As if import of some external module would be included in it. That likely wouldn't work.