appimage

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: appimage

Post by triplus »

It is one thing building it and another to package it in a set of .deb packages. It's not rocket science but nonetheless the latter is a bit harder to achieve.

P.S. And i agree some solution will hopefully emerge we will be able to use to progress things by the time FreeCAD 0.17 is released.
blacey

Post by blacey »

Agreed. I also think @probono's AppImage work is awesome progress already...
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

blacey wrote:Question: With the vibrant OCCT progress and the OCE lower lack of progress (i.e. doesn't yet support OCCT7), why aren't we using OCCT7 on Linux? We have been using OCCT7 for the 0.17 macOS builds for quite some time. The OCCT team invested in making it easier
triplus wrote:There is a long and the short version.
Here's the long version. [Ubuntu Daily PPA] Transitioning to OCCT7, VTK7...

I'll be honest: I thought I could work on this, but I'm missing essential bash script knowledge, and my debian packaging knowledge remains limited. Plus after 4 years of dealing with the PPA I came to the conclusion that I am really, *really* fed up with packaging. I started that topic because nothing was happening with Ubuntu while Windows and Mac were already using OCCT 7 for some time. After some activity and some help from others, the effort died down. I don't have the motivation to fire it back up on my own.
probono

Post by probono »

Is something blocking the FreeCAD AppImage from being linked on the Donwloads page where users might actually have a chance to find it?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

probono wrote:Is something blocking the FreeCAD AppImage from being linked on the Donwloads page where users might actually have a chance to find it?
Hi @probono.

If somebody fluent in editing Wiki will read this hopefully it will get sorted out. If not i will open separate thread in the Wiki forum sub-section in the future. You are correct it should be listed.

P.S. I made a dedicated thread here and hopefully this will get sorted out soon:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 09#p156559
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi @probono.

One of our Wiki experts @renatorivo resolved this with style. Now AppImage is first class citizen on the Download page:

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/?title=Download

P.S. Are you OK with us using the AppImage logo for this purpose?
probono

Post by probono »

Excellent, thank you very much. Sure you may use the AppImage icon.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Well the next step is to upload AppImages of 0.17_pre on Github! ;)
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

NormandC wrote:Well the next step is to upload AppImages of 0.17_pre on Github! ;)
bandaid :https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.17_pre
"fight the good fight"
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello,

Last week I tried to build an AppImage of freecad-daily. The AppImage binary is created, but when I launch it I get this error:
While initializing FreeCAD the following exception occurred: 'no codec search functions registered: can't find encoding'

Python is searching for its files in the following directories:
:././lib/python2.7/:././lib/python2.7/plat-x86_64-linux-gnu:././lib/python2.7/lib-tk:././lib/python2.7/lib-old:././lib/python2.7/lib-dynload

Python version information:
2.7.6 (default, Mar 22 2014, 23:03:41)
[GCC 4.8.2]

Please contact the application's support team for more information.