appimage

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: appimage

Post by triplus »

sgrogan wrote:So, are we ready to post the 0.16.6707 on the FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases page?
If there is no problem for doing that again in the future (if we decide to change something in FreeCAD 0.16 AppImage) i would say yes. It's time to do that.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote:My question would therefore be should we care and try to fix that or should we just remove CalculiX from the AppImage?
I don't really care either way. Most serious FEM users are using a newer version anyway, and as I've mentioned before we call the executable so we don't need to worry about library conflicts.
triplus wrote:If there is no problem for doing that again in the future (if we decide to change something in FreeCAD 0.16 AppImage) i would say yes. It's time to do that.
OK, I'll put this version up tonight on the releases page (no special release, you guys win :) ) with a note about calculix and a request to post issues in this thread and not the BugTracker.
"fight the good fight"
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

FreeCAD AppImages is Alive! https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.16
Thanks everyone who has participated (especially @probono)! I'm sure we can make it better, but this is a good step.
Tell your Friends ;)
"fight the good fight"
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

sgrogan wrote:FreeCAD AppImages is Alive! https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.16
Thanks everyone who has participated (especially @probono)! I'm sure we can make it better, but this is a good step.
Tell your Friends ;)
NIce! Thanks for all the work!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
cox

Post by cox »

Congratulations :D
triplus wrote:If the situation for CalculiX is similar and it can be obtained easily from the target Linux distribution repositories we might not need to care about it from AppImage perspective. But we could choose to care.
The issue with "The Linux distribution" is that there are to many to count, and it would be almost impossible to depend on all of them to have any library that is needed for running FreeCAD. If all batteries are to be included, all libraries that are needed to run FreeCAD should be in the appimage some time in the future.
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Looking good!

@cox

I was thinking about this and for now i feel FreeCAD only AppImage makes sense. For the rest we can listen to feedback from users over time. Getting OCE 0.18 on the PPA likely will be made easier now:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20021

As likely packages in Debian will be updated. Getting OCE 0.18 in AppImage for FreeCAD 0.17 should therefore be a priority as it will enable some BOA tools to work (as they currently aren't available with OCE 0.17).
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote:@cox

I was thinking about this and for now i feel FreeCAD only AppImage makes sense. For the rest we can listen to feedback from users over time. Getting OCE 0.18 on the PPA likely will be made easier now:
cox wrote:Congratulations :D
triplus wrote:If the situation for CalculiX is similar and it can be obtained easily from the target Linux distribution repositories we might not need to care about it from AppImage perspective. But we could choose to care.
The issue with "The Linux distribution" is that there are to many to count, and it would be almost impossible to depend on all of them to have any library that is needed for running FreeCAD. If all batteries are to be included, all libraries that are needed to run FreeCAD should be in the appimage some time in the future.
Without calculix this is the case! The key here is that for calculix, gmesh, OpenSCAD, external editor etc. FreeCAD calls the external executable in a separate (sub)process. The external executable uses its' libs, FreeCAD uses its', but they don't need to match. If they do it's a bug. This is a time that where licensing issues benefit us. The (sub)processes are independent.
TLDR: In FreeCAD prefs choose a path to your systems executable. If a package isn't available on some distro we will need to re-evaluate.
"fight the good fight"
cox

Post by cox »

sgrogan wrote:The key here is that for calculix, gmesh, OpenSCAD, external editor etc. FreeCAD calls the external executable in a separate (sub)process. The external executable uses its' libs, FreeCAD uses its', but they don't need to match. If they do it's a bug.
Good argument, I was not aware of this loose coupling, witch reduces my concerns quite a bit. :D
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I have a feeling if we would fix CalculiX issue some users could complain as they wouldn't want to use the one in AppImage.

@sgrogan

About the licence. If the combination of licences used would be incompatible no amount of packaging would change that. ;)
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote:I have a feeling if we would fix CalculiX issue some users could complain as they wouldn't want to use the one in AppImage, without regard to the license.

@sgrogan

About the licence. If the combination of licences used would be incompatible no amount of packaging would change that. ;)
I agree, remove calculix from the AppImage, to avoid confusion, the license is irrelevant.
I'm having trouble articulating my opinion. An aggregation is OK as @probono has pointed out.
Maybe @cox can explain more clearly. @cox seems to understand what I am trying to explain more clearly.
"fight the good fight"