PartDesign Hole feature

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: PartDesign Hole feature

Post by DeepSOIC »

chrisb wrote:At first glance I thought who the hell needs this, a circle defines a hole and that's enough. But with all these additional "features" it rather seems to be the other way round: Who needs circles any longer? Thanks!
I'd rather reorient the question. Is it possible to make a non-circular hole?
ickby wrote:1. Could this be made to also work with points in sketches? As the circle radius is ignored anyway, it is easier to get a fully constraint sketch with single points.
Points have two drawbacks compared to circle. 1. If you constrain a point to be coincident with an endpoint of a construction edge, that point is not distinguishable.
2. It is possible to toggle circles to construction mode. But not points. This means, I can't use points as construction geometry. Not big deal, but points are very useful when constraining to intersections.
eivindkvedalen

Post by eivindkvedalen »

DeepSOIC wrote:
chrisb wrote:At first glance I thought who the hell needs this, a circle defines a hole and that's enough. But with all these additional "features" it rather seems to be the other way round: Who needs circles any longer? Thanks!
I'd rather reorient the question. Is it possible to make a non-circular hole?
If one wants a non-circular hole, one should use the pocket feature. The hole feature is mainly there to be able to add holes for screws easily.
DeepSOIC wrote:
ickby wrote:1. Could this be made to also work with points in sketches? As the circle radius is ignored anyway, it is easier to get a fully constraint sketch with single points.
Points have two drawbacks compared to circle. 1. If you constrain a point to be coincident with an endpoint of a construction edge, that point is not distinguishable.
2. It is possible to toggle circles to construction mode. But not points. This means, I can't use points as construction geometry. Not big deal, but points are very useful when constraining to intersections.
So we should stick to circles then. Should a hole feature add or update radius constraints, maybe?

Eivind
eivindkvedalen

Post by eivindkvedalen »

ickby wrote:In Part Design there is a AddSub object from which also the subtracrive primitives derived that handle the Cut.
Yes, and the Hole feature inherits from this object.

Eivind
eivindkvedalen

Post by eivindkvedalen »

Does this mean that it would need to inherit from PartDesign::FeaturePrimitive, and be listed among the other primitives?
No, not at all. Attachment code is implemented as extension, hence you can easily derive your current code from it. You can use the Primitives as example, where the extension is used. Same would work for your case. You could ad dit to the HoleFeature as it is now, or simple create a second version which includes this primitive. Also adding it in the GUI under primitives seems wrong, a standalone feature would be more suited.

Note that this are only ideas, if you deem the result not worth the effort simply ignore it. Your feature, your design and rules :)
raulshc

Post by raulshc »

Hi guys,

Any news on this? this feature is essential for the new PartDesign workbench. All mid&full range parametric 3D modellers use it, we should have it integrated into the master ASAP ;) .
f3nix

Post by f3nix »

Hi.
Bumping this in hope it's going to be PR'd soon :)

Cheers,
Mateusz
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The original post seemed to be pretty far advanced. Can we have this in master? (We just have a discussion about threads in the german forum).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Unfortunately 2 months have passed since, it surely won't be easy to rebase to master now...
eivindkvedalen

Post by eivindkvedalen »

NormandC wrote:Unfortunately 2 months have passed since, it surely won't be easy to rebase to master now...
I'm rebasing regularily on my computer, so it's still in good shape, I just haven't pushed it to github yet. I've been too busy lately to finish it, but I might get more time in a week or two.

Eivind
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Waiting for it! Holes could be very interesting for Path Workbench too.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.