FreeCAD Qt5 plan for deprecated WebKit?

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
blacey

FreeCAD Qt5 plan for deprecated WebKit?

Post by blacey »

As of Qt 5.6, QtWebKit has been deprecated and is not included in any Qt5.6 distribution by default. While one can manually include it, it's days are clearly numbered...
Webkit and Qt Quick 1 Removed

We have removed WebKit and Qt Quick 1 from Qt 5.6 release content. The source code is still available in the repositories, but these are not packaged with Qt 5.6 any more. Qt Script remains deprecated, but is included in Qt 5.6 release.
It seems that Mod/Web depends upon it causing FreeCAD to not launch properly unless it is included and the unit test that tries to load the WebGui workbench fails...

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/python2.7/unittest/case.py", line 329, in run
    testMethod()
  File "/usr/local/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Mod/Test/Workbench.py", line 46, in testActivate
    self.failUnless(False, "Loading of workbench '%s' failed: %s" % (i, e.message))
  File "/usr/local/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/python2.7/unittest/case.py", line 612, in deprecated_func
    return original_func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/python2.7/unittest/case.py", line 422, in assertTrue
    raise self.failureException(msg)
AssertionError: Loading of workbench 'WebWorkbench' failed: Test on activating workbench failed
@f3nix and @wmayer, I couldn't glean a plan from prior forum posts so I am wondering if anyone has discussed or planned to port from QtWebKit to QtWebKitEngine or some other alternative. https://wiki.qt.io/Porting_from_QtWebKit_to_QtWebEngine
triplus
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Qt5 plan for deprecated WebKit?

Post by triplus »

AFAIK it was mentioned in the past a few times but the discussion didn't get much traction.

In addition i did a bit of research and if i am not mistaken we use Quarter (QuarterWidget) currently subclass of QGLWidget. This is another thing that will likely cause issues for us in the future.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... SVG6ZxOWy4

Therefore in Qt 4 world things worked OK. Qt 5 will likely introduce some real challenges to tackle.
blacey

Post by blacey »

Ok, thanks. Issue 2868 filed.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I see that @ickby already did something similar in the past:
Port QuarterWidget to QGraphicsView

Derive from QGraphicsView instead of QGLWidget to allow to add widgets as overlay over the 3d scene later on.
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comm ... 50763bfe39

To bad additional QOpenGLWidget port doesn’t exist for testing purposes. What i do imagine is the UX @ickby was working on doesn't have the famous Mac 3D Window overlap issue.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

f3nix

Post by f3nix »

triplus wrote: To bad additional QOpenGLWidget port doesn’t exist for testing purposes. What i do imagine is the UX @ickby was working on doesn't have the famous Mac 3D Window overlap issue.
Hi,
I've been working on QOpenGLWidget port during past few days. I think I will have something shareable in the near future.

Cheers,
Mateusz
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

f3nix wrote:Hi,
I've been working on QOpenGLWidget port during past few days. I think I will have something shareable in the near future.

Cheers,
Mateusz
Fantastic news!

P.S. As for the QGraphicsView. If i remember correctly @ickby was hoping to get a performance boost in Qt 5. But if i read the blog it doesn’t look like that will happen.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

f3nix wrote:
triplus wrote: To bad additional QOpenGLWidget port doesn’t exist for testing purposes. What i do imagine is the UX @ickby was working on doesn't have the famous Mac 3D Window overlap issue.
Hi,

Cheers,
Mateusz
re: QOpenGLWidget
linking issue #1401
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

f3nix wrote:I've been working on QOpenGLWidget port during past few days. I think I will have something shareable in the near future.
At the moment we use the old QGLWidget in two places: the view port of the 3d view and in the image module to render images. A few weeks ago I started to port the image viewer to QOpenGLWidget which was quite straightforward and everything worked correctly.

However, the problems started when opening a 3d view at the same time. The image view becomes black and for every new image view you create it never goes back to normal.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

And if you close (all) 3D View(s) and open new image view? Or if you make sub-window tiles and for 3D View to only cover a portion of MDI area.

After opening new image view (that doesn't overlap completely) does it behave differently?