Bug #2610: Input Error: Removing Splitter Failed

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
User avatar
Kunda1
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Bug #2610: Input Error: Removing Splitter Failed

Postby Kunda1 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:59 am

issue #2610: Input Error: Removing Splitter Failed
Is this ticket still relevant?
Santamaria_13
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 pm
Location: Graz

Re: Bug #2610: Input Error: Removing Splitter Failed

Postby Santamaria_13 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:50 pm

Yes, it is.
I’ve got this error by retracing this tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz-KHvP ... sOXkgoytAY
from r-frank (BPLRFE); at position 38:15 this message occured.

br Karl

OS: Mac OS X
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: tag: 0.16.6706
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.11
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Attachments
Bug '2610.png
Bug '2610.png (61.26 KiB) Viewed 96 times
User avatar
Kunda1
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Re: Bug #2610: Input Error: Removing Splitter Failed

Postby Kunda1 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:33 pm

Santamaria_13 wrote:Yes, it is.
I’ve got this error by retracing this tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz-KHvP ... sOXkgoytAY
from r-frank (BPLRFE); at position 38:15 this message occured.

br Karl

OS: Mac OS X
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: tag: 0.16.6706
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.11
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17


Thanks. Please update the issue #2610 + add the screenshot + add the example file where the problem can be demonstrated... thanks!
chrisb
Posts: 1651
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: Bug #2610: Input Error: Removing Splitter Failed

Postby chrisb » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:45 pm

Can you please test this in the most recent 0.17 version or attach the FreeCAD file here?
User avatar
NormandC
Posts: 12066
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Bug #2610: Input Error: Removing Splitter Failed

Postby NormandC » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:29 pm

Please see my reply in Removing splitter failed.

Apparently it is following the same exact tutorial, along with the automatic refine options enabled. IMO the problem is bad modelling practice induced by the tutorial. In Sketch001 the arcs should *not* be created with the same radius as the face it is mapped to, to avoid such problems that are caused by the OCC kernel and are not fixable by the FreeCAD developers.

I will also add that this error does not happen if the auto refine options are disabled, which is default.

This should have been posted to the forum first before creating a ticket. IMO it is not a proper ticket and should be closed.
User avatar
Kunda1
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Re: Bug #2610: Input Error: Removing Splitter Failed

Postby Kunda1 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:46 pm

NormandC wrote:Please see my reply in Removing splitter failed.

Apparently it is following the same exact tutorial, along with the automatic refine options enabled. IMO the problem is bad modelling practice induced by the tutorial. In Sketch001 the arcs should *not* be created with the same radius as the face it is mapped to, to avoid such problems that are caused by the OCC kernel and are not fixable by the FreeCAD developers.

I will also add that this error does not happen if the auto refine options are disabled, which is default.

This should have been posted to the forum first before creating a ticket. IMO it is not a proper ticket and should be closed.

Can we reach out to the tutorial creator to alter it somehow ?
User avatar
NormandC
Posts: 12066
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Bug #2610: Input Error: Removing Splitter Failed

Postby NormandC » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:03 pm

Kunda1 wrote:Can we reach out to the tutorial creator to alter it somehow ?

His blog has been dormant for years. Said tutorial is 5-year old. IIRC, automatic refine options didn't even exist back then. He may not even agree with me that it's poor technique. ;) (the blog is linked in the topic I linked)

In any case, how are we to hunt down every tutorial on the Internet (blogs, Youtube)... I can tell you there are many on Youtube with poor sketching and modelling technique. I try to leave comments on Youtube videos when I see them.

The fact is, some things need to be done in a specific way in FreeCAD to avoid some pitfalls caused by weaknesses of the OCC kernel or FreeCAD itself. This is just one of those examples. If tickets are created every time these problems happen, the tracker will quickly fill up...
chrisb
Posts: 1651
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: Bug #2610: Input Error: Removing Splitter Failed

Postby chrisb » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:02 am

I would like to see the simple tracker rule:

No discussion - no ticket.

I am surprised that from time to time newbies deliberately create tickets. If they cared to have a look in the forum they would have seen that even people with very much FreeCAD knowledge always discuss it here first.