[SOLVED] Bug #2620: Appears in both V0.16 and daily builds Drawing dxf export not working correctly

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

[SOLVED] Bug #2620: Appears in both V0.16 and daily builds Drawing dxf export not working correctly

Post by Kunda1 »

issue #2620: Appears in both V0.16 and daily builds Drawing dxf export not working correctly
Description
From the Drawing workbench create a new drawing and insert some views. Do a file export and select the File type for the *.svg, *.svgz, *.dxf and enter a .dxf file name. Observe that the resulting dxf file is not correct. In my case it contains just a single rectangle that is not oriented correctly.

Exporting with a .svg file name creates a properly exported file with the title block and all the views that are in the Page.

Steps To Reproduce
Start FreeCAD
Create a part model using the Part Design Workbench.
Switch to the Drawing Workbench
Insert a new drawing object
Make sure the created part is selected
Insert some new views of the part.
Do File->Export and select *.svg, *.svgz, *.dxf as the File Type from the drop down list
Enter foobar.dxf for the file name.
Save the file to complete the export.
Load the DXF file foobar.dxf with a program that views DXFs. Observe that it is not correct.
For a sanity test repeat the File->Export with the same File Type filter but this time export as foobar.svg
Load foobar.svg into a suitable program, e.g. Inkscape
Observe that the SVG exported properly.

Additional Information
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.7957 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 2ac560e7b027590e8d6b534b84020d4c1624ece5
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
@mlampert responds:
mlampert wrote:Is this bug mis-classified? Is dxf export part of the Path workbench?
Last edited by Kunda1 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Bug #2620: Appears in both V0.16 and daily builds Drawing dxf export not working correctly

Post by Kunda1 »

wandererfan wrote:ping
@wandererfan care to weigh in even if this is not directly TD related?
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Bug #2620: Appears in both V0.16 and daily builds Drawing dxf export not working correctly

Post by chrisb »

Drawing is not the way of the future. All time invested in checking and verifying tickets is lost. I think we should close all Drawing-tickets with a "will not fix".
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:51 am Drawing is not the way of the future. All time invested in checking and verifying tickets is lost. I think we should close all Drawing-tickets with a "will not fix".
I can't track down where specifically but in some thread someone told me that there is still wisdom to fix whatever drawing bugs we have left because people who won't be able to support 0.17 and TD for some specific reason I don't recall. There will be a working Drawing WB for said people. I may be totally off on thecteason though.

Instead i have found a thread that discussed many drawing tickets migration to TD
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20342
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:39 am
wandererfan wrote:ping
@wandererfan care to weigh in even if this is not directly TD related?
I only did a quick check with Part Features, but I noted that:
- not all views in a page are in the dxf file
- the dxf file is missing the EOF record so the last view will not be imported by LibreCad