print full traceback when Init.py / InitGui.py fails to load

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
looo
Veteran

print full traceback when Init.py / InitGui.py fails to load

Post by looo »

It would be nice if FreeCAD prints the full traceback of a workbench that not loaded correctly. I think directly writing the full traceback to the report view would be the best option. Currently there is only this information available: "During initialization the error .... occured".

What about changing this line to traceback.print_tb. The information currently given, is often not enough to find the error.

ps.: I just tried this, and it seems that it needs a bit more to get the full traceback...
wmayer
Founder

Re: print full traceback when Init.py / InitGui.py fails to load

Post by wmayer »

No changes needed because this line writes it out as a log message. So, you either switch on the log mode for the report window or look at the console output or look at the FreeCAD.log file.

And with "During initialization the error .... occurred". I was always successful in finding the cause of the problem.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

No changes needed because this line writes it out as a log message.
True, the log message has more information. Never looked into this.
And with "During initialization the error .... occurred". I was always successful in finding the cause of the problem.
Sometimes a traceback is nice to have. II don't see the reason why we should hide it in the error message.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Example where the single message wouldn't be enough to find the problem.
without_tb.png
without_tb.png (39.43 KiB) Viewed 1595 times
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Same problem with the function Initialize of a workbench:

Code: Select all

<unknown exception traceback><class 'TypeError'>: 'map' object is not subscriptable
InvoluteGear: 'map' object is not subscriptable
If there would be added the traceback I would know where to look for the map.
ian.rees

Post by ian.rees »

Maybe it would be appropriate to have both the long traceback and the (current) summary as options, by making the behaviour conditional on it being a Debug or Release build? -Ian-
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

For python programming it would be quite useful to have better traceback outputs. Another example:
libicui18n.so.58: Kann die Shared-Object-Datei nicht öffnen: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
<unknown exception traceback>
(rises in workbench.initialize())

while at startup the traceback is included in the logfile, the traceback on workbench.initialize is totally suppressed. I think we should handle this in a consistent way. Python-users are used to have the traceback added to the exception message. So I would vote for python consistency in FreeCAD.

Are there any reasons for printing the traceback in the log-file? I am fine with that, but would prefer a bold red message :D
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

I wrote:while at startup the traceback is included in the logfile, the traceback on workbench.initialize is totally suppressed. I think we should handle this in a consistent way. Python-users are used to have the traceback added to the exception message. So I would vote for python consistency in FreeCAD.
Just tried this with python2 and there workbench.initialize() prints a full traceback... So this is more related to python3.