Feature Request : Sketching on complex curved surface

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
CadX

Feature Request : Sketching on complex curved surface

Post by CadX »

Hello ,

I have been searching how to sketch on complex curved surface in Freecad. But i found only some macros to do 3d text on cylinder surface or some tricks drilling a hole on cylinder side surface...

Sketchup is available to do this..
IMG_-5v1nfo.jpg
IMG_-5v1nfo.jpg (237.87 KiB) Viewed 2362 times
why not in Freecad ? beside Freecad has many excellent properties. I hope it is added as a command into next versions..

Thanks in advance...
CadX

Re: Feature Request : Projecting a sketch on a curved surface..

Post by CadX »

I think that i found any more why freecad cant project a sketch onto a curved surface..

while searching a solution for projecting a sketch onto a curved surface..I found that Open Cascade (base of Freecad) has a libray "GeomAPI_ProjectPointOnSurf" to do this.. But it was reported "works incorrect" ....https://tracker.dev.opencascade.org/view.php?id=593
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Feature Request : Sketching on complex curved surface

Post by chrisb »

I have read in the german forum that the Workfeatures Workbench can map things like text to bent surfaces.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Re: Feature Request : Sketching on complex curved surface

Post by triplus »

I don't know if there is a ready command available ATM but @microelly2 shared some videos related to such functionality in the past. One example:

phpBB [video]

P.S. Note that you can always create some shell geometry out of 2D geometry. And use boolean operations between such geometry. By doing that it should be possible to achieve the result as seen on the image.