How to add custom expression to the Expression engine?

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
G-VAR

How to add custom expression to the Expression engine?

Post by G-VAR »

Hi all,

I have some custom expressions, and i want to add these expressions to the freecad expression engine.

I check the code about the expression, and see some parser files.
Just like:ExpressionParser.l,ExpressionParser.y,ExpressionParser.tab.h and ExpressionParser.tab.c
I think these files are about Bison parser,but i don't know anything about Bison.

So, what should i do?

Thanks!
eivindkvedalen

Re: How to add custom expression to the Expression engine?

Post by eivindkvedalen »

G-VAR wrote:Hi all,

I have some custom expressions, and i want to add these expressions to the freecad expression engine.

I check the code about the expression, and see some parser files.
Just like:ExpressionParser.l,ExpressionParser.y,ExpressionParser.tab.h and ExpressionParser.tab.c
I think these files are about Bison parser,but i don't know anything about Bison.

So, what should i do?
What do you want to achieve? Do you have an example of what you want to do? If you want to add a simple function, please look at https://github.com/eivindkv/FreeCAD/tree/Fix_issue_2877 for an example.

Eivind
G-VAR

Post by G-VAR »

eivindkvedalen wrote:
What do you want to achieve? Do you have an example of what you want to do? If you want to add a simple function, please look at https://github.com/eivindkv/FreeCAD/tree/Fix_issue_2877 for an example.

Eivind
Thanks for your reply, Eivind!

I'm sorry that I didn't elaborate on my question.I meaned that if i have defined a function in C++,just like "FunctionABC(int a, int b, int c)", then i want to use this function in the SpreadSheet or other workbenches. What do i need to do?

I have looked at your commit about the issue #2877,i have got some inspiration.I'm very grateful to you.

And is there anything else to consider?
eivindkvedalen

Post by eivindkvedalen »

G-VAR wrote: Thanks for your reply, Eivind!
:)
G-VAR wrote: I'm sorry that I didn't elaborate on my question.I meaned that if i have defined a function in C++,just like "FunctionABC(int a, int b, int c)", then i want to use this function in the SpreadSheet or other workbenches. What do i need to do?
Within the current framework, you should look at my branch, and extend the function class with your implementation. As long as you don't need to extend the grammer, this will suffice.
G-VAR wrote:And is there anything else to consider?
I'm considering extending the expression system to be able to add these things at runtime (from C++), but before that happens, you have to customize the code in App.

Eivind
G-VAR

Post by G-VAR »

Alright, i will have a try!

Thanks, Eivind! :D