Sketcher Carbon Copy functionality

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Founder

Re: Sketcher Carbon Copy functionality

Post by wmayer »

When importing a non-parallel sketch, the tool indicates to press ALT to allow this. The pressing of ALT is detected by the method, however, if ALT is pressed it seems it can not "add the selection":
That's a Linux specific problem, works nicely on Windows. The point is that most window managers on Linux reserve the ALT+mouse click. Here with xfce it does:
  • ALT+left click moves the whole window
  • ALT+right click resizes the window
  • ALT+middle click iterates over the windows
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

wmayer wrote:That's a Linux specific problem, works nicely on Windows. The point is that most window managers on Linux reserve the ALT+mouse click. Here with xfce it does:

ALT+left click moves the whole window
ALT+right click resizes the window
ALT+middle click iterates over the windows
Thanks for the explanation.

Then I see no alternative and I will change it to CTRL+ALT+click, so that it works in both.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I did a few tests and more or less it worked as advertised.

First i created a sketch with some geometry and added constraints to it. After in another sketch i created Carbon Copy and the second sketch had the same geometry and constraints as the first one. The only difference being in the second sketch expressions are used for constraints purposes.

Using Carbon Copy feature instead of doing it manually therefore does make sense in some use cases. As the time needed is greatly reduced.
m.cavallerin

Post by m.cavallerin »

So, what's the main difference within carbon copy and external geometry?

...still I don't get it...

Thx
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

External geometry uses the projection of some other geometry into the sketch plane while carbon copy uses the geometry of other sketches directly. If both are in the same plane they can serve at first look the same purpose. But with carbon copy you can change one of the references thus moving the whole sketch, while using external references keeps all other references as is.
You will see a major difference if you place two sketches in different planes, e.g. XY and XZ, then try external references vs. carbon copy.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

abdullah wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:55 pm
DeepSOIC wrote:How about letting one to toggle external-geometry edge out of its permanent construction mode, no?
A good idea, but a different use case IMO.

From a programming point of view, what you are indicating is not trivial, as external geometry is fixed solver geometry because it is external. Once it is not external, then should be constrained. We would need to define a fourth category of geometry that is fixed to solver but defines a curve for the purpose of sketching... maybe it is not that difficult after all... An external geometry I think it is construction=true as of today. Theoretically, we could have construction=false and still external... gotta take a look...
I'm sorry for warming up this vintage thread, but has there been any development towards permanent geometry out of external?

I still like the idea to use external geometry directly without rebuilding it manually.

If it needs to be seen as internal and constrained, couldn't it be constrained automatically with the block constraint now? - Just to please the solver...
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

FBXL5 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:27 am I still like the idea to use external geometry directly without rebuilding it manually.
No, FC does not support this yet. It is planned for after merging toponoming, as this is actually coded in a fork requiring the toponaming. I would say within 1-2 years from now.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

abdullah wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:17 pm
FBXL5 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:27 am I still like the idea to use external geometry directly without rebuilding it manually.
No, FC does not support this yet. It is planned for after merging toponoming, as this is actually coded in a fork requiring the toponaming. I would say within 1-2 years from now.
Thanks for the quick answer.
It seems that a lot of wanted/needed tools depend on the toponaming issue. :roll: I'm really looking forward to the time after this issue is solved.