Sketcher mini-features

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Sketcher mini-features

Post by abdullah »

Some things I was missing:
Sketcher_minifeatures.png
Sketcher_minifeatures.png (56.32 KiB) Viewed 3670 times
1. A "Do not annoy me with Internal Alignment constraints" checkbox. It comes very handy with BSplines.
2. An indication of which elements are construction geometry (A special for those moments with overlapping normal/construction geometry)
pablogil

Re: Sketcher mini-features

Post by pablogil »

Cool!
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Another mini-feature:
Sketcher_minifeatures1.png
Sketcher_minifeatures1.png (46.87 KiB) Viewed 3648 times
I was quite fed up that sometimes you have overlapping geometry and you want to select the normal geometry, but it picks that external on top of it, or the construction when you want to pick the normal, or the normal when you want to pick the construction.

With this mini-feature, you just drag and drop the order of rendering you want, so the first element in the widget is always rendered on top, and the last at bottom.

I would say it fixes this:
https://freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=2264
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thank you. It has been mentioned many times here. So it only seems to be a mini feature: it is a big relief.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

abdullah wrote:Another mini-feature:
Nice!!! :)
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Welcome!!

Another mini-feature (well this one had quite a lot of work, but the result is mini):
Sketcher_minifeatures2.png
Sketcher_minifeatures2.png (34.29 KiB) Viewed 3543 times
So with these two checkboxes you can hide the reference constraints from the inventor view or the driving constraints or both.

This was requested here:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 00#p169615

Pull Request:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/696
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

abdullah wrote:Welcome!!

Another mini-feature (well this one had quite a lot of work, but the result is mini):
Thanks, the result is NOT mini, it opens new possibilites to use the sketcher.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Sweet!
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Thanks!

Another feature. I was fed up with the productivity of the lock constrain. Hereby I introduce two improvements, the relative mode , which can be used for group locking. The former was a long felt need. The latter may come handy.

Relative mode

It locks the geometry of the selected vertices with respect to the last selected vertex. Example:
Lock1.png
Lock1.png (36.16 KiB) Viewed 3454 times
Select the centers of all poles except the first one (best done using the Element Widget, just put the selection in "Center Point" and select from the list). Now select the center of the first pole. Now hit the lock constraint icon:
Lock2.png
Lock2.png (58.32 KiB) Viewed 3454 times
Poles won't move freely anymore with respect to each other. You can still move a pole and all the others will move with it. Disclaimer: I do not intent this as a proper solution for b-spline locking, just a use case of a more general tool. It is a mess of constraint lines. It does the job.

Group locking

Same example, just select all the centers of all the poles. Now select the origin. Now hit the lock constraint.
Lock3.png
Lock3.png (55.81 KiB) Viewed 3454 times
All locked with respect to the origin. It is basically using the same syntax as relative mode, but with an "external geometry" at the end. Note: Yes, you can also do the same with any external point.

No PR ATM. I will probably code more mini-features while I give Werner a merging pause ;)