Sketcher mini-features

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Re: Sketcher mini-features

Post by abdullah »

A P.R. a day keeps the doctor away:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/701
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

abdullah wrote:A P.R. a day keeps the doctor away:
OK it's worth a try. When i select a single point and click on Coincident constraint. Pop-up is the outcome. Wouldn't it be better to do something useful instead. Like creating coincident constraint between the selected point and origin?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I like the notion of driving vs. driven. To me it makes things immediately clear if I look at a sketch. If looking at a triangle (disregarding it's position on the plane for a moment) we have 3 lengths and three angles. We can use any three of them as driving constraints and the other three are driven. That's how the solver sees them. The System defined by the red constraints has to be solved.
However there is a third state not for the solver but for thre user, and that is how the red driving constraints are defined: It can be by inputting a value directly or by using an expression, where the latter can use additional external data. While it is still a driving constraint for the solver and thus for the current sketch it is something different for the user: And that's the point where I often would have liked to have an additional colour for expression using constraints like orange - which still has a considerable amount of red in it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

chrisb wrote:And that's the point where I often would have liked to have an additional colour for expression using constraints like orange - which still has a considerable amount of red in it.
Can be arranged ;)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I looked for some reference (SW):
  • Constraints (Red/Driving Constraints in FreeCAD)
  • Dimensions (Blue/Reference/Driven Constraints in FreeCAD)
  • Relations (geometric constraints like for example Equality constrain in FreeCAD)
I guess it could make sense?

P.S. And having separate toolbars for each scope? That would in addition be more future proof as involved toolbars are getting a bit big? If not i am prepared to drive or make driven constraints if that makes other users happy. :lol:
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

abdullah wrote:I remember the old discussion that left everybody unsatisfied for opposite reasons (reference vs driven vs driving vs normal vs blue vs red).
I'm sorry Adbdullah, but speaking for myself it is not what the debate was about.

Driving/driven, normal/reference, I don't care, it's just semantics. What's at the heart of the problem is that as soon as a constraint is switched to reference, it plainly stops being a constraint. The fact that nobody seems to be acknowledging this simple evidence is utterly maddening to me.

Even if I know this may be fruitless, let's recap on the definition of what a constraint is:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/constraint
Wiktionary wrote:Noun
constraint (plural constraints)
  1. Something that constrains; a restriction.
  2. (mathematics) A condition that a solution to an optimization problem must satisfy.
  3. (databases) A method that maintains database integrity.
So a reference constraint or a driven constraint is a contradiction in terms.
Last edited by NormandC on Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

triplus wrote:I looked for some reference (SW):
"Sokath, his eyes uncovered!" :D
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

NormandC wrote:
triplus wrote:I looked for some reference (SW):
"Sokath, his eyes uncovered!" :D
The terminology problem was resolved in the GUI:
  • Constraint
  • Reference constrain
For me the term reference works. As such constraints are used for reference purposes only. Therefore if nothing changes this is still a good solution. In the code different terminology is used (and no it is not dimension) and developers tend to use the same terminology in the GUI. All that results in the term Constraint (and not the term Reference constraint) is under constant pressure to be changed. That is what i don't like all that much. And if somebody wants to change this i feel that final solution should preserve the term Constraint. As for the reference constraint. If that needs to change to get to that outcome (preserving the term Constraint) i said i am OK with it.

P.S. And as a plus we discovered Assembly relations (not constraints) are the correct thing to do. Makes me wonder why nobody nitpicked about that for all this years when it comes to the scope of Sketcher constraints that should actually be named Relations. And in addition note that driving/driven is what the current proposition is. Therefore change (if it happens) will still likely be a compromise. And users on the forum will still likely use whatever term they feel is appropriate.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

As for the short version:

My vote (if changing the current terminology makes sense due to lack of general consensus) goes to whatever solution gets the general consensus.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

triplus wrote:Constraints (Red/Driving Constraints in FreeCAD)
Dimensions (Blue/Reference/Driven Constraints in FreeCAD)
Relations (geometric constraints like for example Equality constrain in FreeCAD)
NormandC wrote:Driving/driven, normal/reference, I don't care, it's just semantics. What's at the heart of the problem is that as soon as a constraint is switched to reference, it plainly stops being a constraint. The fact that nobody seems to be acknowledging this simple evidence is utterly maddening to me.
As you both can imagine, I am not sentimentally attached to reference/constraint terminology. What I see today is that if we change terminology, there is a lot of places to update, not only the UI in the code, but also translations, wiki. It is not my work, to which I can commit, that we would be deciding, but the work of other people. That said:

It seems that we can agree, as a lesser painful compromise, that the "red" thingies are constraints and the "blue" thingies are dimensions. Then the toggling would be switching constraints to/from dimensions. The dimensions would appear in the constraint widget, where the widget may need to be renamed to "Constraints/dimensions" (this was an issue in our old discussion).

I have 2 points as for this discussion:
1. Is it ok, as a better compromise, that we rename the whole project to accommodate "dimensions" instead of "reference constraints", so that there is no need to qualify a constraint as driving or driven?. If yes: Does anybody object?, if no:
2. If I commit my work and time to effect the change in the repository. Who is willing to update the wiki and doing any other "non-repository" work? If there are volunteers for this work:

A plan is: I make the repository changes and volunteers update the wiki.

Let me know.