Problem with profile of a face of a rotated/translated "Body" sub-object

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
lorenz

Problem with profile of a face of a rotated/translated "Body" sub-object

Post by lorenz »

Hi there,

apparently, there is now the concept of a "Part" and a "Body" in FreeCAD. (I have not quite understood how/why to use them and why only some objects are below such a hierarchy). This seems to create a problem for the Path Profile operation: Previously, I could easily rotate/translate objects via their Placement property, and profiles on these objects respected that.

Now, if an object is part of a "Body", the Placement property does not show up anymore in the property editor. I can, however, edit the Placement property of the parent "Body" object, which rotates/translates the child object just as well. Only the resulting Path Profile does not honor this. Is there something wrong in the way I use the Part/Body stuff?

Here is an example of a simple Cube object and a Pad inside a Part/Body hierarchy, both rotated/translated a bit. Path Profile works correctly only on the independent Cube object:
Screenshot_20160723_115723.png
Screenshot_20160723_115723.png (60.68 KiB) Viewed 1971 times
(I attached the document in question)
Attachments
rotated_body.fcstd
(14.87 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
ickby
Veteran

Re: Problem with profile of a face of a rotated/translated "Body" sub-object

Post by ickby »

Hello,

a Part and a Body ar local coordinate systems. So if you transform one of thse it does not affect the features beneath at all, they are at the exact same location in the local coordinate system as before. I suppose this is the reason the path does not update. You should make a path from the Body itself, not the feature it holds.

Be aware that the whole local/global CS thing is not at all fully implemented, many things are missing.
lorenz

Post by lorenz »

ickby wrote:a Part and a Body ar local coordinate systems. So if you transform one of thse it does not affect the features beneath at all, they are at the exact same location in the local coordinate system as before.
How would I transform a sub-object of a Body? The "Placement" property is not available for such child objects.

ickby wrote:I suppose this is the reason the path does not update. You should make a path from the Body itself, not the feature it holds.
Paths are made from specific faces, not whole objects. I don't think I can select the face of a Body, can I?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I use the Draft Clone function for placing objects in the correct orientation for the desired Path operation. I have made a complex part with about 10 different clones to perform drilling and milling on the 6 rectangular faces as well as some angled faces. Not only successfully designed in FreeCAD but successfully machined in metal on my simple three-axis mill.

It would be a nice extension to the Path module if it would allow selecting the working orientation, but I suspect that might be a challenge. In the interim the clone function works fine. I have even been able to go back to the original body object and make small changes successfully.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.8004 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 8fc0fcf4aed34c87978e0f7dffd35b3febb86c97
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.0.0

Gene
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

GeneFC wrote:I use the Draft Clone function for placing objects in the correct orientation for the desired Path operation. I have made a complex part with about 10 different clones to perform drilling and milling on the 6 rectangular faces as well as some angled faces. Not only successfully designed in FreeCAD but successfully machined in metal on my simple three-axis mill.

It would be a nice extension to the Path module if it would allow selecting the working orientation, but I suspect that might be a challenge. In the interim the clone function works fine. I have even been able to go back to the original body object and make small changes successfully.

Gene
I also use the Draft clone and have thought about kind of formalizing that workflow. Here's what I'm thinking about:

As I mentioned in another thread, the 'project' is going to go away and be replaced with a 'job' The job will absorb the important properties from the Machine object which will also go away. It'll be a lot easier to configure a job than it is to configure a project now. Unlike a project, you'll be able to have any number of jobs in a FreeCAD document. I don't use Fusion 360 but from what I understand, this is similar to a 'setup' object.

The job will also have properties to identify the base object. I envision a drop-down list of the objects in the current document. The user can select an object and, optionally, create a clone of that object. In the near-term, Path wouldn't do anything to orient the clone, but I could see helper tools added down the road to do that - perhaps pick an edge from the solid which should be parallel to the Z axis of the machine. As you add operations, you'll select sub-objects just like you do now, but all selections will have to be sub-objects of the base object set in the Job.

The job will also (eventually) have properties for configuring the stock and material so these can be used to suggest defaults for feed/speed and better defaults for operations start/finish depths and size.

The only things underneath a job will be Tool controllers and operations. Right now, the order of tool controllers and operations is controlled inside the Project node (double click to edit) and it'll be similar with a job. However, I think I'll make the selection of tool controller for the operation be explicit. In other words, you open the dialog for the operation and pick the tool controller you want instead of relying on the job order.

Overall, I think the workflow will be faster and more intuitive but I'm curious if anyone has thoughts along these lines.