Heekscnc

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
nahshon

Heekscnc

Post by nahshon »

As the plans are to port heekscnc as a tool path generator for FreeCAD, Can we have a discussion on current heekscnc problems, and if / how they can be resolved.

1. Path offset algorithm fails for some paths. Usually if the path has a segment that is shorter than half the tool diameter. This causes an exception which is not reported by heekscad, and the script is terminated. Exception details are only written to the console.
I do not know if this is a limitation of the algorithm or just a bug.

2. Selection of parameters for profile and pocket. Some parameters are taken from the last operation. Others are arbitrary or picked in random.

3. Pockets and profiles operations are not aware of the 3D model.

and more....

-- Itai
DavidNicholls

Re: Heekscnc

Post by DavidNicholls »

Nahshon,
when Dan Heeks stopped taking code changes for HeeksCNC I kept my own copy and have been using it ever since. Can you post some data files with specific problems you're seeing and I will see if my version is any better.

The issue of pockets and profiles not acting on the 3D model is due to the fact that the edges found in a 3D model are not 'named'. eg: If the 3D model is of a swimming pool and the pocket operation was used to machine out the pool's recess then we would need the pocket operation to know which of the edges in the model should be used as the border. I did see a YouTube video of a FreeCAD tutorial where the user 'promoted' an edge so that it could be used in a constraint's definition. (I'm not sure the word 'promoted' was used). I imagine (and I don't know) that this 'promotion' is like the 'Make a sketch from the selected face' function in HeeksCAD. This function explores the edges that make up the face and converts each edge into a portion of the sketch. Once it's a sketch then it is individually named and the profile or pocket operations can refer to it as the graphics to use as a guide. If FreeCAD can already 'name' a face or a series of edges then I'd love to know about it.

Thanks
David Nicholls
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

DavidNicholls wrote:If FreeCAD can already 'name' a face or a series of edges then I'd love to know about it.
I don't think that this is the case, yet. But you might want to consider to monitor the ticket http://www.freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=876 to get notified about changes on that regard.
DavidNicholls

Post by DavidNicholls »

Thanks for that. I will.