Tool table question

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
XXX

Tool table question

Post by XXX »

I find when I go to "Edit a tool table in a selected project" all the values are set to metric, I have FreeCAD set in "Imperial decimal", can I change the tool table entries to Imperial or US?

Thanks, X

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6700 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: 7b925d11aa69ac405b423635adb1e2833f18a817
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: Tool table question

Post by sliptonic »

XXX wrote:I find when I go to "Edit a tool table in a selected project" all the values are set to metric, I have FreeCAD set in "Imperial decimal", can I change the tool table entries to Imperial or US?
Short answer is no. Not yet. I'm afraid functionality in this area is extremely broken and incomplete. I'm not sure I even have a good idea what the correct behaviour would look like. What I mean is that this is an area where user preference and real world application meet and sometimes collide. I prefer to design and work in metric but often have to generate gcode for an older machine in imperial/us customary but metric output on another machine. A simple setting for user preference isn't enough.

A tool table containing both "1/4" end-mill" and a "5mm end mill" isn't unreasonable at all. I'm open to thoughts, and ideas, and especially pull requests.
cadnoob8086

Post by cadnoob8086 »

Sorry to bump this

i was trying to set tool table up , it looks like not only the tool table dialog is only in metric but there isn't enough decimals ( only accepts 2 would need 4 or 5 ideally) i would not be against values to be both metric and imperial decimals ( saving mm/imp as another selection box maybe)

i don't know if just adding more decimals would be hard but i figure its already a float anyway...
i don't know if this is a bug or a feature request at this point :P
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

cadnoob8086 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:47 pm i don't know if this is a bug or a feature request at this point :P
probably neither. Try to increase the number of decimals in Preferences->General->Units.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

This thread was also about a very old version of Path (0.16). Things have changed mightily since then. If you're running 0.16, you really need to upgrade.