Another preview video

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
herbk
Veteran

Re: Another preview video

Post by herbk »

Hi Triplus,
triplus wrote:I am guessing if i would like to do some real Path WB testing in the future i would need FreeCAD and CNC machine controller that controls the motors and hardware. I guess there are a lot of interesting projects out there focusing on DIY or providing kit variants for CNC machine controller. Does Path WB care about CNC machine controller? Like having a drop down list of recommended (or officially supported) machine controllers?

Any recommendations on that?
You net a software to create a part, one for the path and one for the machine. With FreeCAD you can do the first 2 steps, for the third you need the postprozessor, - in my case LinuxCNC (or machinekit, its nearly the same).
FreeCAD exports to 5 or 6 postprozessors, selectdable by drop down list. But the gcode exportet for "LinuxCNC" is good for some other postprozessors/machinecontrollers to. If i'm right Mach3 works with it to.
Gruß Herbert
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Therefore i am guessing:
  • Model something in FreeCAD
  • Use Path WB to produce G-code
After that the first thing you obviously need is CNC hardware that has a CNC machine controller.

Once you have that you need LinuxCNC to import G-code and to communicate with the controller for the hardware to do its job?
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

You can also use a simulation tool like http://camotics.org/ to look at the g-code output - although they're not as much fun as a real CNC ;)
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

triplus wrote:Therefore i am guessing:
  • Model something in FreeCAD
  • Use Path WB to produce G-code
After that the first thing you obviously need is CNC hardware that has a CNC machine controller.

Once you have that you need LinuxCNC to import G-code and to communicate with the controller for the hardware to do its job?
Yes, these are the steps/requirements...
Gruß Herbert
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Thanks for all the info. I guess for now i won't be able to test out the whole process.

Hopefully that will change at some point in the future.