Another preview video

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Linden

Re: Another preview video

Post by Linden »

That is Cool. My wish list is already looked after. Thanks

Re a pocket from eadges i could see this being usefull if you had a pocket with a stepped botom and you wanted to rough out all the material to the depth of the top step. And then do the next step and the next and so on.
I would say if your in there any way now would be the time to do it but thats easy for me to say im not the one doing the work ;-)
Linden
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I am impressed. I often missed the new introduced job - and here it is. Same with the new edge selection. Great!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

sliptonic wrote: think instead of automatically guessing at which tool load to use, we should have a drop-down that is populated with all the tool loads in the job. The user would then explicitly pick the tool load to use.
This would be my preferred variant.
sliptonic wrote: An even more radical possibility is to eliminate the tool load object entirely and extend the tool definition to include speed and spindle properties. Then if you wanted to use a 5mm tool at two different speeds, you'd have to create the tool twice in the tool library manager but it might be more intuitive.
In my opinion, in this variant the tooltable could become confusing, better:Error promoting.
If you are working with a lot off differnt materials you need (per example) 10 times the same endmill in the tooltable, only with differnt speeds. On selecting the tool its easy to take the right tool with wrong speed.
Gruß Herbert
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have thought about an "intelligent tooltable" since Path WB came out. There are these tables with materials and cutting speeds and we could have those in FreeCAD as well. For the tool we need to know the number of cutting edges. Since usually all milling on an object mills the same material we could add to a project / job the material and selection of a tool could do a lookup in the tooltable and make a proposal for feed and speed.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi Chris,
that would be the "rolls royce"..., - but:
The possible feed- and speed rates are not only depending on the material, - also the typ of the maschine has a big number on it!

A big proffesional mill can drive much higher rates as my little selfmade bridge mill. Iff you want to make a proposal for speed and feed, so you have to know material and machine. If you not know both, the proposal is wrong in the most cases und wrong proposal ist more worse than no proposal.

A tooltable like you thinking about makes only sence if it is placed in the postprozessoron the machine were it runs, there you kann ed it like machine and tool it needs...

just my six cents... ;) ;)
Gruß Herbert
chrisb
Veteran

Re:

Post by chrisb »

herbk wrote:Hi Chris,
that would be the "rolls royce"..., - but:
The possible feed- and speed rates are not only depending on the material, - also the typ of the maschine has a big number on it!

A big proffesional mill can drive much higher rates as my little selfmade bridge mill. Iff you want to make a proposal for speed and feed, so you have to know material and machine. If you not know both, the proposal is wrong in the most cases und wrong proposal ist more worse than no proposal.

A tooltable like you thinking about makes only sence if it is placed in the postprozessoron the machine were it runs, there you kann ed it like machine and tool it needs...

just my six cents... ;) ;)
Herb, You are completely right, such a table has to be editable and you are right again, we need more than one. I am not convinced if the postprocessor is the right place or if the tooltable should be something independent. I would appreciate more comments on this.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi Chris,
from all the postprozessors i only know LinucCNC, thats whre my machine runs with... But LinuxCNC is also made for profesional machines with automatic toolchanchers. For that reason it has a tooltable includet (which you can use or not) and can make all the toolcompensation by itself.
All "milling companys" with more as one machine i know, using this in the postprozessor includet tooltable and it's tc and they want to have a gcode without toolcompensation
The reason is for me comprehensible: If you use a neutral code (FreeCAD makes it with setting "on" by the cutting line placement) you have not to know which machine will be used for production if you create the part and the code.

So for me is the tooltable in FreeCAD a gedget, which is mostly used by privat users with a single machine and few tools (like me...).
In my mind the time to create it, can (at this time) be better placet for other things from path workbench.

but as I have said...: just my mind. ;) ;) ;)
Last edited by herbk on Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gruß Herbert
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I am guessing if i would like to do some real Path WB testing in the future i would need FreeCAD and CNC machine controller that controls the motors and hardware. I guess there are a lot of interesting projects out there focusing on DIY or providing kit variants for CNC machine controller. Does Path WB care about CNC machine controller? Like having a drop down list of recommended (or officially supported) machine controllers?

Any recommendations on that?
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

The machine/controller specific aspects should be handled by the post processor. If your controller does not support tool change, then that's the place to suppress that command - or replace it with what you want.

I think creating an entirely machine/controller independent tooling path is a fallacy. The tool path depends on the available axis of the machine/controller - if you have a larger part than your machine supports you'll have to split the machining ....
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

A thought about the tool table: How about we get rid of it?

Tool+spindle+feed speed are really attributes of each individual path (in the end the only place where they really matter). Let's say you create a profile and as part of that you select a tool (+ spindle and feed speed). The default could still be the same tool the previous path used, otherwise a tool can be selected from a number of places:
* create a new one
* any tool previously used in the job
* any tool previously used in a different job of the same document
* any tool from a list of tool libraries
* any tool from a list of tool changer setups
* default settings of the Path WB "Preferences"

The job can insert TC commands as required. The tools used by a job can be exported as "tool changer setup" for later jobs, as a new tool library or integrated into an existing tool library.

The only place a user has to deal with indexes is when the tools get exported for a tool changer, otherwise the job can assign an index to each tool as it sees fit and create a list of id=tool.

A tool library is where the feed and spindle speed recommendations come in, add filters for materials and machine .... all the fanciness one desires ;)