Helix machining for circular holes

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
agryson

Re: Helix machining for circular holes

Post by agryson »

cox wrote:The helix also looks like it does not have a constant slope, giving a sawtooth look, maybe a constant slope could improve this?
OK, I'll try again with fewer turns and with the spiral in 3D (true helix), though as I said, this will only really be clear from 32px and up.
danielfalck

Post by danielfalck »

It looks clear enough to me now- great job! Thanks for taking this on.
agryson

Post by agryson »

danielfalck wrote:It looks clear enough to me now- great job! Thanks for taking this on.
No worries, though I saw your post too late before doing this new version with added 3D:
Path-Helix_16.png
Path-Helix_16.png (925 Bytes) Viewed 2097 times
Path-Helix_24.png
Path-Helix_24.png (1.58 KiB) Viewed 2097 times
Path-Helix_32.png
Path-Helix_32.png (2.18 KiB) Viewed 2097 times
Path-Helix_64.png
Path-Helix_64.png (3.89 KiB) Viewed 2097 times
So which does everyone prefer? The previous "spiral" or this "corkscrew". Winner will be submitted as a pull request in the next few days!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I would rather prefer the first approach than the "sleeping McDonald's" :lol: , but there something else I would like to discuss. I am afraid it is a bit late, because agryson has worked so much on the existing icons, but it took a while for me to sort it out for myself.
I am using FreeCAD often on my laptop with limited screensize; thus I use the smallest icons. As a matter of fact I usually go on the icon and wait for the tooltip to pop up to distinguish some of them. It became better with the new icons (and because I used the big ones for some time and got better accustomed to them).
It would be even better if the icons where simpler. Using the Path Workbench we all know that we are using tools, so we could perhaps omit the tool in most cases, the path would be sufficient.
The Icon should show the following things and we have already specific colours assigned:
  • What would be the resulting object (blue).
  • What do I have to select before invoking the tool (yellow).
  • What will be the resulting path (green).
Example: for a Path Pocket operation we show the (cube like) base and the pocket in blue, the bottom of the pocket in yellow and the path in green. That's enough, the tool doesn't give additional information. Well in some cases it does, if it is a special tool, but then it is far easier to distinguish.
I really know it is late to discuss this, but perhaps it's better late than never.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi agryson,

super,
I would prefere the corkscrew design, suggests a glas of wine behind... :P ;) ;)
Gruß Herbert
danielfalck

Post by danielfalck »

I like the simpler helix- it's easy to see what it is. The latest does look like the McDonald's arches rotated :)
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

Either one is awesome! And if I understand sliptonics feature suggestion correctly either one shows exactly what's gonna happen. :)
cox

Post by cox »

I am not sure how to test for different sizes, but I was thinking maybe something like this. Sorry about the crooked lines.
Of-course with your magic applied :-)
Spectacle.Zb7923.png
Spectacle.Zb7923.png (22.06 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
Attachments
Path-Helix-2.svg
(20.23 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Path-Helix-1.svg
(20.27 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

chrisb wrote:.... Using the Path Workbench we all know that we are using tools, so we could perhaps omit the tool in most cases, the path would be sufficient.
The Icon should show the following things and we have already specific colours assigned:
  • What would be the resulting object (blue).
  • What do I have to select before invoking the tool (yellow).
  • What will be the resulting path (green).
Example: for a Path Pocket operation we show the (cube like) base and the pocket in blue, the bottom of the pocket in yellow and the path in green. That's enough, the tool doesn't give additional information. Well in some cases it does, if it is a special tool, but then it is far easier to distinguish.
I really know it is late to discuss this, but perhaps it's better late than never.
I kind of like having a common element (the tool) to help understand and interpret everything else. That's just my opinion though.
In addition to the colors you listed, I'd also suggest:
Safety and rapid moves (red)
any reference to stock object (pink or some other color)

We haven't done much with stock yet but I expect it will become more important in the future.
agryson

Post by agryson »

chrisb wrote:I am afraid it is a bit late, because agryson has worked so much on the existing icons, but it took a while for me to sort it out for myself.
... It would be even better if the icons where simpler. ation. Well in some cases it does, if it is a special tool, but then it is far easier to distinguish.
Actually, you're absolutely right and it's even already been planned. This phase (alignment) is really just for alignment of colors, grids etc. but there is a second phase focusing on a more 'final' improvement of icons across the board for afterwards. See the issues on my fork for more or add your own to this milestone.
sliptonic wrote:In addition to the colors you listed, I'd also suggest:
Safety and rapid moves (red)
any reference to stock object (pink or some other color)
When it comes to colors, we should try to bear in mind that there are also cross-workbench suggestions that are provided in the existing artwork guidelines, though that will be more relevant in phase 2.

@cox: I'll whip up a version soon with the wraparound spiral you suggested