First Steps with Path WB

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rweait

Re: First Steps with Path WB

Post by rweait »

chrisb wrote:Can you create a screencast and upload it to a video streaming service? Post the link here and I will have a look at it.
I'll try to get a screencast. in the interim, here is a screencap.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

No need to make a screencast, I can reproduce the issue: If I take a pristine user I cannot create a tool nor can I import a tooltable - well I can do both, but without any visible effect.
Should I create a bug report or is it sufficient to mention here?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I found a solution: open Preferences->General->Units and change the value of "Number of decimals" to 3. After saving the tool selection works as expected. (If you want to have 2 you can change it back).

Hint for the developers (it took me half a day to find out): The problem seems to be a missing entry in the user.cfg:

Code: Select all

<FCParamGroup Name="Preferences">
        <FCParamGroup Name="Units">
          <FCInt Name="UserSchema" Value="0"/>
          <FCInt Name="Decimals" Value="3"/>
        </FCParamGroup>
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
rweait

Post by rweait »

Wow! Thank you, chrisb! I've used your suggested work-around and I now have visible tools.

Also, I made the screencast. :-) Too late, but here it is. https://youtu.be/qDU_yx4tvnQ

Thanks again!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You're welcome, I am glad we found that bug.
When you enter a new tool I recommend to enter it in the model, not the job. You can then use it in different jobs.
vk3uao

Post by vk3uao »

Thank you Chris, it helped me out too.
marcuswolschon

Post by marcuswolschon »

In your introduction posting you don't tell what the difference between "Final Depth" and "Finish Depth" is.
Also I am missing any specification of what the material blank looks like.
At what stage shall the user specify where the 0-location in the work coordinate system is?
Another thing I missed in your posting was how to configure what your machine is capable of (speeds, work area, g-code flavor, max RPM, existence and placement of non-carthesian axis,...).
Is it correct that the feedrate and RPM have no (reduced) setting for high-chipload moves and that I can't specify any ramping angle for diving into the material?
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi Marcus,
please be aware, that path is still in an early stage of development, some things you are asked for are "in work"... And like sliptonic wrote somewhere above: for a tutorial how to use the Path WB to much things changing to fast... :)
At what stage shall the user specify where the 0-location in the work coordinate system is?
Path sets the 0 point always to the X0, Y0, Z0 of your document.
Another thing I missed in your posting was how to configure what your machine is capable of (speeds, work area, g-code flavor, max RPM, existence and placement of non-carthesian axis,...)
Machine dimensions you can set if you click on "job" and edit the parameters (but it don't have any effect in the moment, i think), speed and RPM is to set in the tool controller.
Speed and RPM in the TC, not to change for each tool, isn't very practice-oriented for me...
But the entire configaration of the machine i have in the machine software, it's nice to have, but i dont realy need it in FC Path... mostly i crate neutral pathes, so i can use the gcode on differnet machines.
More than X,Y and Z axis are not implemented.
Is it correct that the feedrate and RPM have no (reduced) setting for high-chipload moves and that I can't specify any ramping angle for diving into the material?
Yes...
Gruß Herbert
marcuswolschon

Post by marcuswolschon »

Do the internal data structures and assumptions made allow for a later expansion to have a cutter come in along arbitrary vectors (not parallel to the Z axis)?
(I'm following the progress here to see about adding some of my own algorithms when the required infrastructure allows for it.)
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

sliptonic postet a link where the main developers discussing about the next steps: https://gitter.im/FreeCAD/Path
Gruß Herbert