[Solved] Bug #2850: [PATH] Changed Tool parameters are not updated in operations

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

[Solved] Bug #2850: [PATH] Changed Tool parameters are not updated in operations

Post by Kunda1 »

issue #2850 needs to be tested and confirmed
Summary: If an operation has been created, based on a tool in the tool table, and the tools properties are changed in the tool editor, the tool parameters in the existing operations are not changed.

Steps to reproduce:
  • Create a path job object
  • create tool controler or select tool in existing tool controler
  • add pocket operation
  • double click tool controler, to see cylindrical representation of tool
  • got to tool table editor
  • doubleclick the tool selected in the job
  • change diameter to extreme value, close tool editor
Result: Paths remian unchanged and do not reflect the changed tool diameter doubleclick on tool controller + cylindrical representation remains unchanged

Bug occured on:

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.9621 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 89afaae5535cdc23aff53bcd3ef1d3a936580348
Python version: 2.7.9
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.7.0
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
cox

Re: Bug #2850: [PATH] Changed Tool parameters are not updated in operations

Post by cox »

I am not sure this should be a bug, It depends if the tooltable is local to the file or if it is global. I have not tried the Path workbench for a while, but seam to remember the tooltable was global.

If the tooltable is global and you have changed a tool since you last had a project open, the user should get a warning that this has happened and possibly be forced to accept or reject a change. If not your project might be changed merely by opening the file.
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Currently you can load the global tooltable and select some of the tools and take them into the job. The issue still exists: You can edit the job's tooltable and change e.g. the diameter, but the path is not updated accordingly.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

There's several things going on but I don't actually see a bug. As far as I can tell, everything is working correctly.

That isn't to say it's working 'well' just that it's working as designed. The tool library, tool, and tool controller needs some UI work and it's on the agenda but there are other priorities right now. So here's what I think you're seeing.

First, make sure you use the tool library editor to edit the tool associated with the job. Changing the diameter of a tool in the library won't have any effect unless you add that tool to the job and then associate it with a tool controller. When I change the diameter of a tool in the job and then double click its controller, I can see the diameter change immediately.

The second issue is that the paths are not automatically recalculated when the tool changes. Perhaps they should be but they're not right now. You can right click on an operation and 'mark for recompute' and then hit the recompute button and the path will be updated. Again, I tested this with current master and it works fine.

If you think the paths should be automatically recalculated when a tool changes, please add a feature request in Mantis.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

What you describe is correct and sensible. I would go one step further: I think it isn't even necessary to change the diameter of a tool in the job, because that would mean to me that I want a different tool. I edit tools only in the tooltable and add them to the job. If I select a tool in the tool controller the path gets updated.
Summary: Prohibit editing job's tools and everything is fine.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.