Path of pocket with inclined sidewalls

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
herbk
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:45 pm
Location: Windsbach, Bavarya (Germany)

Re: Path of pocket with inclined sidewalls

Postby herbk » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:10 pm

Hi Bill,
Yes, a 45 degree cutting tool
No, a 45 degree cutting tool can not produce this "corners".
Gruß Herbert
chrisb
Posts: 1651
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: Path of pocket with inclined sidewalls

Postby chrisb » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:05 pm

herbk wrote:Hi Bill,
Yes, a 45 degree cutting tool
No, a 45 degree cutting tool can not produce this "corners".

Ok, it should say ... a cutting tool of appropriate angle ...
herbk
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:45 pm
Location: Windsbach, Bavarya (Germany)

Re: Path of pocket with inclined sidewalls

Postby herbk » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Hi Chris,
a cutting tool with an angle has always on the upper side a biger diameter as at the bottom. For that reason you never will get rounded edges with same campfer diameter at top and bottom.
ecken.jpg
ecken.jpg (18.65 KiB) Viewed 172 times


The "corner" like on the pic you con only get with an regular (rectangular) toolshape and
a with a Machine wich can turn the tool to the anglr you want
b (on a machine with omly 3 axis) a gcode which moves all 3 axis in one line.
Last edited by herbk on Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gruß Herbert
chrisb
Posts: 1651
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: Path of pocket with inclined sidewalls

Postby chrisb » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:23 pm

herbk wrote:Hi Chris,
a cutting tool with an angle has always on the upper side a biger diameter as at the bottom. For that reason you never will get a rounded edges with same campfer diameter at top and bottom.

You are right in both points. But if you look at the pocket the chamfer has different diameters at the top and the bottom. Of course you must not go straight down, but if you look at the path of realthunder you can see that the steps further down do not go as far to the outside as those at a higher level.
sliptonic
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:46 pm

Re: Path of pocket with inclined sidewalls

Postby sliptonic » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:26 am

realthunder wrote:I thought it was going to be easy for my new Path.Area. Boy, was I wrong. Those fillet edges turn out to be BSpline. I've never really tested non-circular curves. It took me a whole day to fix. It was those OCC bug thing, I think, which is why Part didn't use BRepAlgoAPI_Section for cross section. I should have read their code more carefully. Anyway, here you go. You can try my branch at here.


Now we're talking! That looks very interesting.

I've pulled your current branch and I'm trying to duplicate your results but I get this error regardless of what I do:

Code: Select all

Exception (Sun Jan 29 21:24:16 2017): shape is not planar
realthunder
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:55 am

Re: Path of pocket with inclined sidewalls

Postby realthunder » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:39 am

chrisb wrote:Is this operation "Shock and Awe" :lol: ? I think it is time to get accusomed to this Git-stuff.
Is there a possibility to change the direction of the diagonal path segments as well? For production I would like to have at least four goes, one for each side.


By direction, you mean the zigzag direction? If so, yes, in FeatureArea, there is setting for zigzag angel. You can try other mode of pocket as well, such as the Offset mode, more conventionally known as Contour mode, I think. With proper setting of Retraction Threshold in FeatureShape, we get the same keep tool down effect as zigzag.

Right now, FeatureShape may break zigzag path into segments for optimization, which makes it sensitive to start position, and often gets worse result. It'll be fixed soon. Offset mode is not affected.
realthunder
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:55 am

Re: Path of pocket with inclined sidewalls

Postby realthunder » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:44 am

sliptonic wrote:Now we're talking! That looks very interesting.

I've pulled your current branch and I'm trying to duplicate your results but I get this error regardless of what I do:

Code: Select all

Exception (Sun Jan 29 21:24:16 2017): shape is not planar


How do you select the shapes? To create FeatureArea, you must select the solid shape in the tree view, not the 3D view. If you select in 3D view, FeatureArea will add the selected subelement (face, or wire), instead of the whole solid.

Also, please sync the git often. Path.Area is quite volatile at the moment.
sliptonic
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:46 pm

Re: Path of pocket with inclined sidewalls

Postby sliptonic » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:54 am

realthunder wrote:
sliptonic wrote:Now we're talking! That looks very interesting.

I've pulled your current branch and I'm trying to duplicate your results but I get this error regardless of what I do:

Code: Select all

Exception (Sun Jan 29 21:24:16 2017): shape is not planar


How do you select the shapes? To create FeatureArea, you must select the solid shape in the tree view, not the 3D view. If you select in 3D view, FeatureArea will add the selected subelement (face, or wire), instead of the whole solid.

Also, please sync the git often. Path.Area is quite volatile at the moment.


Yes, I'm selecting in the tree. Currently running git commit: 65f01daee28bc51f2e98878ad2b4fde3fee1efe0
realthunder
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:55 am

Re: Path of pocket with inclined sidewalls

Postby realthunder » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:09 am

sliptonic wrote:Yes, I'm selecting in the tree. Currently running git commit: 65f01daee28bc51f2e98878ad2b4fde3fee1efe0

That's strange. Here is my file. I just redo all the steps I described. No problem here. Could you please send me your file.
Attachments
pocket-v04.fcstd
(42.58 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
sliptonic
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:46 pm

Re: Path of pocket with inclined sidewalls

Postby sliptonic » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:19 pm

Yes. Got it going. Problem was my own misunderstanding about how to set it up.

I was able to get some very nice pocket paths out of it that wouldn't be possible otherwise. :D