Setting feedrates in tool controller object, but get F0.00 in output

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adamLange

Setting feedrates in tool controller object, but get F0.00 in output

Post by adamLange »

I'm setting feed rates in the tool controller object. Regardless, the feed rates in the output g-code is zero. (I'm using the linux cnc post processor). My guess is that this is for safety during development. I want to live dangerously. How can I enable the speeds in the tool controller object to be output?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.9453 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: (detached from 0.16_pre)
Hash: b16fbcd4eeb9a5f9195c500e2693cba25a7916d2
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.7.1.oce-0.16
herbk
Veteran

Re: Setting feedrates in tool controller object, but get F0.00 in output

Post by herbk »

Hi Adam,
i got the feedrate in the gcode on each opperation, only not on "3D surfacing".

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.9796 (Git) (Packman)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: bebda4c6adcad59c4abe82bcbc8703e90c8e1ceb
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.9.1.oce-0.18-dev
Gruß Herbert
drallod

Post by drallod »

Yes, it seems feedrates can only be set before the path is generated and they can't be updated afterward.

This should probably be filed as a bug. I'm unable to signup for Tracker yet.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I have been able to add the feed rate after creating the path simply by right clicking and checking "Mark to recompute". Then click the recompute icon on the toolbar. I have not tested this exhaustively for all possible cases, but it works for profiles and pockets.

I would not call it a bug but rather a feature request for automatic updates based on new tool information.

It would be nice if the "Post Process" function did not require entering a destination before showing the output. The --show-editor option only works after the g-code file is saved. (Formerly worked correctly, but was changed a couple of months ago.) Then spotting the F0.00 would be quick and easy.

Gene
drallod

Post by drallod »

GeneFC wrote:I have been able to add the feed rate after creating the path simply by right clicking and checking "Mark to recompute". Then click the recompute icon on the toolbar. I have not tested this exhaustively for all possible cases, but it works for profiles and pockets.

I would not call it a bug but rather a feature request for automatic updates based on new tool information.

It would be nice if the "Post Process" function did not require entering a destination before showing the output. The --show-editor option only works after the g-code file is saved. (Formerly worked correctly, but was changed a couple of months ago.) Then spotting the F0.00 would be quick and easy.

Gene
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that option!

Which post processor are you using? Saving is done separately by each and they're not consistent in how they do it.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

+1 on this being a bug

The whole point of the ToolController is so it's settings get applied to all ops associated with that TC. Being able to change TC values after creating ops is a major part of that and the settings not getting applied to the ops until they are "recomputed" is a security issue, IMHO.