I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, and methodists

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, and methodists

Post by sliptonic »

bill wrote: However, the bottom face has some issues for me. Investigate extending the passes in Mill Facing:Operation tab.
cal.png
I think I understand this now and as weird as it is, The facing operation is working correctly.

In issue #2484, If the underlying operations don't produce any Path, the job continues to show the last path that it rendered. So if you delete an operation, the old path still shows. In this case, when the operation is first created, it defaults to the Job's base model perimeter and produces the path shown. If you select the lower face only, the large 50mm facing mill doesn't fit inside so it doesn't produce a path. but the old path still shows.

If you set the pass extension a little bigger or use a smaller tool, then the path renders correctly.
cahlfors

Post by cahlfors »

If I choose a smaller face mill and select the lower step, the path becomes:
Markering_010.png
Markering_010.png (10.94 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
Using zero extension, it is possible to have the mill stay within the lower step. However, this is a face mill and they only have cutting inserts around the perimeter and are not able to mill vertically. They have to come in from the side, so the extension has to be bigger than the mill diameter.

Whether this is the expected behavior or not, depends on the programmer's intention. In Heeks, for instance, you would have to define a new rectangle, bigger than the lower step and mill inside that rectangle. This is awkward and I was not able to replicate this in FC. Maybe a surface has to be created and not just a rectangle? Either way, I do think that this simple object puts some strain on the path operations.

Cheers,
/Chris
electrical engineer
Ubuntu or Mint
Mendel 3d-printer/OctoPrint
LinuxCNC
Optimum BF20L mill
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

cahlfors wrote:If I choose a smaller face mill and select the lower step, the path becomes:
Markering_010.png

Using zero extension, it is possible to have the mill stay within the lower step. However, this is a face mill and they only have cutting inserts around the perimeter and are not able to mill vertically. They have to come in from the side, so the extension has to be bigger than the mill diameter.

Whether this is the expected behavior or not, depends on the programmer's intention. In Heeks, for instance, you would have to define a new rectangle, bigger than the lower step and mill inside that rectangle. This is awkward and I was not able to replicate this in FC. Maybe a surface has to be created and not just a rectangle? Either way, I do think that this simple object puts some strain on the path operations.

Cheers,
/Chris
Yes, I totally agree on all points. And I think I spoke too fast anyway. I'm still finding some bizarre behavior with that lower face that isn't explained by the 2484 bug.
adamLange

Post by adamLange »

Here's some lowdown rotten stuff. Hint (maybe): there was a transformation to flip the parts before making the path and holding tag dressup.

I made a pull request to PathTorture.

mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

oh wow - looks like holding tags is doing the arc the wrong way around - that's a bad one :oops:
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi sliptonic,
i have one more part where i can't get a path for:
foult_path.jpg
foult_path.jpg (57.93 KiB) Viewed 2161 times
Does only a incomplete path on "contour", "path by surface" and "path by edges".

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10153 (Git) (Packman)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 845d6766f9c81d782f2df254870e3e345db784f2
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.9.1.oce-0.18-dev
Attachments
negativ.fcstd
(12.93 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Gruß Herbert
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi sliptonic,
again a part where i can't get a path for the outline, if i try i get this:
door_1.jpeg
door_1.jpeg (77.65 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
In this case, the prob seams based on the different highs of the part. If i try getting a path with a regular box as base i get the path.
Attachments
door_2_mpf.fcstd
(141.92 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Gruß Herbert
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

herbk wrote:Hi sliptonic,
again a part where i can't get a path for the outline, if i try i get this:
door_1.jpeg

In this case, the prob seams based on the different highs of the part. If i try getting a path with a regular box as base i get the path.
Both this one and the previous file negativ.fcstd have the same problem. It was related to a tolerance bug where two vertices appear to be the same but aren't. @wanderfan has fixed this now with PR #668 and I'm getting correct paths for both now.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi sliptonic,
thx for the info and sorry for the late answer, but since OpenSuse maintains the packman repo by itself they don't compile the latest 0.17 and i'm a little "braked out" with testing...

Now i'm on a Mint System with:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10707 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 04a3283000cfdf92b26c54fd4ae7a0fbd636a74b
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0

and i have an other thing what seams a little odd...

I want to cut out this profile, but the path generator ignores the cut for the "corners/pockets", it takes only the outline of the basic object.
wh01.jpeg
wh01.jpeg (84.76 KiB) Viewed 1908 times
wh02.jpeg
wh02.jpeg (66.49 KiB) Viewed 1908 times
Attachments
C_6_Traeger_2_li.fcstd
(46.01 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Gruß Herbert