Tools not visible

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
oly

Tools not visible

Post by oly »

I am using the latest nightly from the ppa, I am struggling with adding tools basically if i use the default machine and tool its visible.

If i edit the default or ad my own changing the diameter, it works but the tool is no longer visible.

I am also struggling to position the start position for the tool which i think is related am i missing something or is this a current bug ?
mlampert
Veteran

Re: Tools not visible

Post by mlampert »

oly wrote:I am using the latest nightly from the ppa, I am struggling with adding tools basically if i use the default machine and tool its visible.
This is a bit confusing, the 0.17 development branch doesn't have a "machine" anymore. Could you post the version info you get through the help menu please?
If i edit the default or ad my own changing the diameter, it works but the tool is no longer visible.
The tool visibility can be controlled by the visibility of the TC.
I am also struggling to position the start position for the tool which i think is related am i missing something or is this a current bug ?
The starting position is controlled by the OP you are using. Not all ops currently support specifying a start position but most do. Which op are you using.
oly

Post by oly »

By machine i mean Job then, the version is 0.17 10276 (Git)

I think i have the sizing problem sorted it did not like me setting the cutting edge height to 0, the preview i get if i double click the tool now and some times i get a part added to the project called tool which i can position buut does noot seem to change the gcode.

I am using contours and pockets, I can set a start position that seems to work but the tool is positioned at 0,0,0 and then moves to the start point, or at least thats what appears to happen.

If i load up the path in Gcode Sender it shows the tool at 0,0,0

Looking at the preview in freecad I can see a green + which i am guessing is the start point from there the tool seems to move sideways and up to the start position of the first path.

Hope that makes sense ?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can upload images or *.FCStd-files here, that could make things clearer. The last post sounds to me as if it works like designed, could you please explain more detailed what the problem is?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
oly

Post by oly »

So basically if you look at the model, it shows the tool starting above the piece to cut when i export the tool actually starts on the green + symbol.

Obviously this will work as i can not position the head inside a piece of wood, and if i manually position the head of my cutter like in the picture it moves up and just cuts in mid air.

Basically i want the start point to be where the tool is positioned and not where the green + is if that makes sense ?
Selection_002.png
Selection_002.png (55.78 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You have turned your object upside down as you can see at the right corner's coordinate system arrows. Path can currently work only in the XY plane with Z+ going up. Make a clone of your object and turn it 180°.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
oly

Post by oly »

hum i get what your saying but i am not sure that will work, the other side is different so rotating will not work.

I could actually move the object to -14 on the z the the tool head will be in the right place ie at 0,0,0 and move down to -14 on the z.

if i rotate 180, it would not be able todo the pocket but hopefully your suggestion has helped me find a solution or at least given me something to try thanks.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

oly wrote:hum i get what your saying but i am not sure that will work, the other side is different so rotating will not work.
Of course you should not turn the object's clone by 180° and then mill the other (not yet visible) side. Then you would of course have the same problem as now. What you have to do is:

- Create a clone
- turn the clone 180°
- turn your 3D view so that the face you want to mill is in sight (i.e. faces to the camera).
- create your milling path.
oly

Post by oly »

Okay tried that as you can see in the picture, but the tool does not orient itself to the rotation so its on the wrong side.
how can i flip the tool as well ?
Selection_003.png
Selection_003.png (26.66 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Can you upload your .FCStd-file please? I will have a look at it, but it might take a while.