Improvements to Tool Handling (and other fixes) #628

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
herbk
Veteran

Re: Improvements to Tool Handling (and other fixes) #628

Post by herbk »

Hi,
i'm not able to test the new things, because on OpenSuse the 0.17 is not higher than 10236.

What Gene is writing about the order of the createt pathes, i understand as the problem i try to point out a little bit after changing to "job".
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18148
I simply make the changes, output the g-code, *don't* save the file, close, reopen, make more changes, output more g-code, etc
It's nearly the same way i work..: make a path for one operation, copy the gcode to a .txt file, make the path for next operation copy it to the .txt file, and so on...
As an example of the latter, it may be more time efficient and less error prone to use the same tool and same operation on multiple pieces before changing and rezeroing a manual tool to continue work on the original workpiece.
I advise: gene is working with a router, where usually more then one peace will be cutted out at once... ;)
Gruß Herbert
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

herbk,
you really need to check out the new support for Arch Panels. This is the way that we can support what I think you're hoping to achieve. With a panel sheet, you can establish the layout of multiple flat parts in a 'sheet' that corresponds to your flat stock. Then the Path Job will use the sheet as the base object. At this point, you can add multiple operations like profiling, drilling, and all the work done with a tool will be done for all the parts before changing to the next tool.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

God morning sliptonic,
that sounds great, as soon as it is in the repo i will try :) :)
Gruß Herbert
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

herbk wrote:God morning sliptonic,
The code is in the github repo and showing up in the dailies. Might not be available for OpenSuse yet. The functionality still needs work but will give you an idea where we think this is going.
jobermayr

Post by jobermayr »

herbk wrote:God morning sliptonic,
I assume you won't get any updates on Packman anymore:

After openSUSE guys captured Packman and disabled my maintainer status[1] I decided it is better to stop working on things for openSUSE, switching to another distribution and spend more time together with my wife.
I also asked Stefan to remove all packages maintained and the work done from me.[2]
Finally Packman shouldn't provide development version(s) of FreeCAD anymore in near future.

[1] http://lists.links2linux.de/pipermail/p ... 15065.html
[2] http://lists.links2linux.de/pipermail/p ... 15086.html
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

jobermayr wrote:I assume you won't get any updates on Packman anymore:
read through your references, sad story :( - thanks for your work. FWIW, I would have made the same call ...