Improvements to Tool Handling (and other fixes) #628

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sliptonic
Veteran

Improvements to Tool Handling (and other fixes) #628

Post by sliptonic »

I've created a Pull Request which is almost ready to merge. I'd like some review and comment before that since it affects workflow and adds several new features.

NOTE: This WILL break existing Jobs, Operations, and Tool Controllers. You'll have to delete and recreate them.

The biggest change is how operations identify their tool.

All Operations now have an explicit property for which tool controller to use. When you open the task panel, you'll have a combobox for the available tool controllers in the Job. You can create multiple tool controllers directly from the tool library. If there are multiple jobs in the document Path will ask which one to add the TCs to.

When you create an operation, Path will try to determine which TC to use. You can highlight a TC before creating the operation and the op will use that TC.
If no TC is selected, Path will either ask or use a tool if it's the only one in the job.

You can, of course, change tool at any time.

Drilling now automatically detects all drillable locations in the base object and adds them. Should make it much easier to drill where the base object contains many holes. This will need further improvement to handle selection/deselection, ordering, etc but this is the first step.

Arch PanelSheets are usable as a job base object. Drilling operations and profile operation can work on the panel sheet without selecting any further geometry. I'll do a video demonstrating this soon.

Numerous bug fixes.

Velocity units work correctly for Feed rates.

You can now export the tool library to a linuxcnc tool table. (needs testing). Corresponding importer has not been written yet. If you're interested, let me know.
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Improvements to Tool Handling (and other fixes) #628

Post by GeneFC »

This is an extensive list, and it looks good (without actually trying anything.)

The only comment I have is that "Drilling now automatically detects all drillable locations in the base object and adds them" may be a bit of overkill. I often have multiple sizes of holes, and I do not want to automatically select all drillable locations. Sometimes only a single hole is needed for an operation.

It would be great if this could be an option instead of automatic.

Gene
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

GeneFC wrote:This is an extensive list, and it looks good (without actually trying anything.)

The only comment I have is that "Drilling now automatically detects all drillable locations in the base object and adds them" may be a bit of overkill. I often have multiple sizes of holes, and I do not want to automatically select all drillable locations. Sometimes only a single hole is needed for an operation.

It would be great if this could be an option instead of automatic.

Gene
That's why I said it's just a first step. I have in mind a much more robust UI that will let you sort by size, enable and disable groups, etc. Very much a work in progress.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Sounds great!

Thanks for all of your hard work.

Gene
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

I played quite a bit with this change and I love it - I wish it was already merged ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

@sliptonic: please leave a short hint here, when it is merged. I will wait for this change before starting with the documentation.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

chrisb wrote:@sliptonic: please leave a short hint here, when it is merged. I will wait for this change before starting with the documentation.
I've changed the PR description and removed 'the hold' It's not perfect but I think it's ready to go.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

it's merged!
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Here's a video showing some of the panel stuff.

Found a handful of bugs while recording. PR coming soon.

https://youtu.be/HqI1Mnh6NIc
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

Coolest thing I've seen in a while - I think I'll have to become an "architect" .... :D
Thanks sliptonic, this is truly Great! (yes, with a capital G)