How do I get rid of this bounding box

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bill

Re: How do I get rid of this bounding box

Post by bill »

This is more accurately a "Path Machining Box" from what I can see.
mlampert wrote:Anybody know how to get rid of that it's quite irritating.
I like it; however, it should be on toggle with P,M,B kekystroke sequence; defaulted to "OFF"; Highlight with very high visibility color like "FUSCIA".
GeneFC wrote:As stated by mlampert, the new bounding box is a bit annoying. For me it provides no value.
Provides me value; shows me the excursion of the tool/cutter!
GeneFC wrote:I am puzzled about what issues the new bounding box was supposed to solve
Its a great feature for me!
GeneFC wrote:There is also a small box that shows up when any tool is selected.
Now this puzzles me too!
mlampert wrote:x pop up is confusing and disturbs the look and feel, it feels wrong/weird/.... it should be the same for all, same with colours, icons, ...
PMB.png
PMB.png (11.64 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
Handy; it tells me the full x,y,z excursion limits of the current Operation; I think! Notice the rapid to z=63; nice bit of information to know at a glance.

BTW, tags look/work fine on:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10646 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: (detached from 732bd85)
Hash: 809758b7395f8e591a8a196459bf5a014a864aaf
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Last edited by bill on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

bill wrote:I like it; however, it should be on toggle with P,M,B kekystroke sequence; defaulted to "OFF"; Highlight with very high visibility color like "FUSCIA".
The bounding box can be toggled on and off separately in the View property page, IF the selection style is not bounding box. A bit ironic, I know. And the color is changeable, with white as the default color. Maybe adding keystroke to toggle that is more appropriate.
GeneFC wrote:There is also a small box that shows up when any tool is selected.
This maybe because the ViewProvider of the tool is derived from ViewProviderPath. The small box represents the empty Path inside.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

realthunder wrote:So for the Path preference, which style you prefer to be the default? The 'Shape' (enables selection, but may obscure rapid), or 'None' (same as old behavior).
I can only try out Shape, which seems to work fine, I would go with that.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bill wrote:This is more accurately a "Path Machining Block" from what I can see.
I don't think so. It can be seen as a minimum square machining block, but that's not what we usually have. The machining block depends rather on standard sizes available.

It is probably desirable to have such a machining block but that's something different, I will open a new topic: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21575.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

mlampert wrote:Attached (with the problem the other way around). The arrow stays on ccw regardless of which Contour actually goes. In fact, the arrow points into the direction when the Dressup was created.
I am checking the file you attached. But all arcs are G3, so it is supposed to be CCW, no? You can see the gcode when preselecting.
Screenshot from 2017-03-31 03-57-47.png
Screenshot from 2017-03-31 03-57-47.png (286.05 KiB) Viewed 1833 times
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
bill

Post by bill »

chrisb wrote:I don't think so (Rude, very rude baby!). It can be seen as a minimum square machining block, but that's not what we usually have. The machining block depends rather on standard sizes available.
It is probably desirable to have such a machining block but that's something different,
First of all, this aint my first rodeo!

"BLOCK" is such a limiting descriptor and would not include roundstock or hexagonal, etc.

Dont jump the gun! This is not another nomenclature for the "MILL STOCK" or what you refer to as "machining block".
bill wrote:This is more accurately a "Path Machining Box" from what I can see.
As you can see, Ive changed my description to a "box", since that is what I intended all along.

It stands to reason that from the pic,
PMB.png
PMB.png (11.64 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
rough mill stock would be much shorter (roughly 32mm) than the BB since there is at least one RAPID (as far as what I can see visually) at the top end of the Machining Box.

It is very handy to compare this box with the working envelope of the destination/target machine.

Additionally, there is a need very often to square-off/face the chosen mill stock (especially extruded stock); thats why I pushed for the Facing Operation a way back.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

bill wrote:It is very handy to compare this box with the working envelope of the destination/target machine.

Additionally, there is a need very often to square-off/face the chosen mill stock (especially extruded stock); thats why I pushed for the Facing Operation a way back.
As requested by this thread, I've added the preference setting as shown below. I've submitted the PR, it shall the in the master soon. The default selection style is 'Shape', you can simply change it to 'Bounding Box' to get what you want. This setting only applies to new Path created afterwards. For existing Path, you can manually change the selection style in its View property page. As for the keystroke suggestion, if you really need it, please start a new thread for feature request.
Screenshot from 2017-04-01 02-46-49.png
Screenshot from 2017-04-01 02-46-49.png (271.57 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bill wrote:
chrisb wrote:I don't think so (Rude, very rude baby!). It can be seen as a minimum square machining block, but that's not what we usually have. The machining block depends rather on standard sizes available.
It is probably desirable to have such a machining block but that's something different,
Since you added the "(Rude, very rude baby!)" to the quote of my post I have the feeling that I might have insulted you. This was by no means my intention. I see and can accept your view of the usability of the bounding box, I only wanted to make sure that the bounding box mentioned here was not to be mixed up with what you call mill stock. Perhaps my limited knowledge of the english language - at least in it's fine nuances - lead to the confusion.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.