Is an increase of precision possible?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Is an increase of precision possible?

Post by chrisb »

I have an object with an end of an arc at (145,3,someZ). When I create a path on the corresponding line I get (145,2.999). I checked with "Inspect GCode" it shows

Code: Select all

X145.000000 Y2.999000
It seems as if the internal representation is taken and cut (not rounded) to a precision of 3 decimals with a subsequent extension to 6. Can I change the behaviour to either use the value from FreeCAD or use at least 4 digits precision?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mlampert
Veteran

Re: Is an increase of precision possible?

Post by mlampert »

chrisb wrote:I have an object with an end of an arc at (145,3,someZ). When I create a path on the corresponding line I get (145,2.999). I checked with "Inspect GCode" it shows

Code: Select all

X145.000000 Y2.999000
It seems as if the internal representation is taken and cut (not rounded) to a precision of 3 decimals with a subsequent extension to 6. Can I change the behaviour to either use the value from FreeCAD or use at least 4 digits precision?
Last time I looked into that code there was no restriction to 3 decimals - if that has changed then we should probably fix it. If you have a fix, please go ahead and create a PR - otherwise creating an issue would be great.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Is an increase of precision possible?

Post by chrisb »

My plan is to get into the Git stuff during this week. Then I will give it a try to find and eliminate the bug. If I don't succeed I will create a ticket.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.