How to apply tool path in 2D svg or dxf file

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
harsh

How to apply tool path in 2D svg or dxf file

Post by harsh »

Hi.
Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.17.9700 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: Master
Hash: 14ae74f4681b23fd44ba0a0032068164ed7bb01
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 5.4.2

We are try to generate Gcode for .svg or .dxf file but we are not able to apply other tool profile. only engraving profile is working. Please help how to handel this file format after importing in freecad so we are able to apply other tool profile.
herbk
Veteran

Re: How to apply tool path in 2D svg or dxf file

Post by herbk »

Hi harsh,
you need to make a solid from your shape first, - the way i go:

import the .svg and delete all not needet pathes
on Part WB use extrude to give the shape a hight
change to Path WB and create the path

This should work with .dxf also, but i'm not sure, i dont use .dxf in last jears...

Path creation from imported and extrudet shapes makes sometimes some probs, on my systems it works only if i don't change the shape of the importet part in FreeCAD.
Gruß Herbert
harsh

Post by harsh »

Hi... Thanks for your Replay...
I have tried to convert import .svg file into solid format using part WB in that using Extrude option object and shape are also converted into solid format after that. when i am apply tool path for one of the shape which i have cut and trying to apply Pocket Face Profile but its not showing proper path.

while i am draw same shape using sketcher and applying Pad and Pocket after that apply pocket Face profile its shows proper path. for your reference i have attach screen-shot of this problems. if you have any solution for that please help. Thanks.
Attachments
tool path error.png
tool path error.png (227.21 KiB) Viewed 3916 times
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi harsh,
i don't understand what you want to mill... and i think path has the same problem ;) ;)
Should it be a rectangle with holes ore pockets in it, or should be the "ornament" left only? You need allways to create a 3D part if you want gcode for milling out a part.
traeger.png
traeger.png (62.8 KiB) Viewed 3897 times
The Picture shows also a .svg import. After deleting all not needed pathes (i have always a lot) the part looks like should look in "real live" to and for that part i get the path and gcode to mill it out.
Gruß Herbert
harsh

Post by harsh »

Hi herbk....

Thanks for your Reply....

It may be bangel design i have recived that design from one of my friend i just want to make it that design on metal.in that design base ractangle i have Extrude 2mm after that i have select only one of shape (path10024) and Extrude -1.5mm and after that i have apply cut of two shape. after that i have select pocket face and trying to apply pocket face profile but its not create path as per the pocket shape.

for that cross check i have draw Rectangle and same shape using sketcher and after that i have select pocket face and apply pocket face profile so its shows proper path as per the pocket shape.

in previous screen-shot one Rectangle with many design shape is import svg file and other Rectangle with single shape i have draw for cross check path is create as per the shape or not.

i have attach this svg file as well as project file with facing problem in path creation.

if you want to try and convert it into 3d and able to generate gcode as per the shape.

if you have any solution for that please help.

Thanks
Attachments
path error-1.fcstd
(527.14 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
path erro-2.fcstd
(633.08 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
20mm secend.svg
(110.64 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi harsh,
there are two things...
on your .svg are a lot crossing lines
path don't work with pockets and other cuts from importet svg shaps in that moment.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20378&start=30
Gruß Herbert
harsh

Post by harsh »

Thanks Herbk for your help and support.....

Do you know any other file format which i can directly import and after importing i am able to apply all tool path profile..
Actually i am trying to make cutting and printing design machine on metal in that i have required to cut and mill different types of design for that testing purpose i am using that freecad and i want to know which type of file format i can direct used in freecad so i am able to cut and print that design on metal and i am able to used all tool profile on that file format.

i just want to do simple process importing file applying tool profile as per the design and generating gcode.

thanks.
quotelawrence

Post by quotelawrence »

I am also running into a similar problem I have tied many methods svg, dxf but once imported I find the program doesn't recognize the edge, feature, so the machine g-code is not created and I am left doing a lot of work but no conclusion I have needed a clearer example of how to import, extrude, path engrave and complete code step by step and some people are so good at doing these they move to fast and ignore explaining the setting they already have established in their systems. I hope a freecad expert could possibly create a tutorial that would be step by step and easy to understand :D