Path workbench difficulties

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
haonewor

Path workbench difficulties

Post by haonewor »

Hi, all. I'm relatively new to FreeCAD and CNC-ing in general, so please excuse any beginner questions. This post is on the path workbench.

I'm currently trying to make a crib board or cribbage board, as they're sometimes called. I had the board and all the holes placed out and I made the cut of the holes from the board, I done this in the part workbench. I went into the path workbench and by using different tutorials I managed to do the following process.

Create new path project > Edit tool table, adding a 1/16in (1.588 mm) bit that is an undefined type and material > Add the tool by pressing the "tool number to load" button, changing the tool number to "1" (side note the tool label doesn't change automatically, only from "tool0" to "tool1." Should it change to my tool name?) > selecting all of my holes > pressing "create a path drilling object" (another side note, this is the correct path type I want for holes, right?)
Once I do this, I get a new node under Project (In the Labels and attributes window) called "Drilling" with a red exclamation point. When I mouse over it says "Drilling: List index out of range."
FreeCAD2.jpg
FreeCAD2.jpg (22.43 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Also, I want the board to be cut out by my mill, so I selected all the outside faces, hit "create path profile object from selected faces" and it created a tool path, but only on one face.
FreeCAD.jpg
FreeCAD.jpg (31.88 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Finally, if I want to make tabs to hold the board in place, is there an option for that or do I have to model that manually.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Attachments
Crib board with attempt at toolpaths.FCStd
(398.77 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: Path workbench difficulties

Post by sliptonic »

The 0.16 version of Path is almost entirely unusable. Path is MUCH improved in the 0.17 branch but that means you will either have to install the daily build or compile it yourself.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Path workbench difficulties

Post by chrisb »

If you want to create your models in 0.16 you can do so. Finally open them in 0.17 and create the path stuff.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.