Version 0.1 To-do List

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
aj5robinson

Version 0.1 To-do List

Post by aj5robinson »

Hi All,

Following Sliptonic's post in another thread I thought it worth while to list the items still outstanding in version 0.1.
  • Settings Interface: Currently nothing further than a design of this work is complete. This would be a nice, well contained, piece of work if someone is interested in getting their hands dirty in code. Would a require some basic QT and C++ skills and a moderate amount of time.
  • TPG APIs: This is mostly complete and currently being worked on by me (arobinson). I am currently working on a few bugs and better memory handling.
  • Post Processor: Requires connecting the HeeksCNC post processor to the output of the tool path generation step
  • User Manual : A basic getting started guide for the CAM Workbench user. This is very dependent on the workbench's GUI so will need to wait. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/14qY ... x46Hc/edit)
  • TPG Developer Manual: A getting started guide for the TPG Developer. This is 50% done and some more can be done on it however the rest will need to wait on a few other items to be completed. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c5A ... EEqgg/edit)
  • Workbench UI: There are a few items still remaining to be developed and/or integrated with the UI; Luke, can you please list these items so we can get someone working on them.
I have probably missed some important bits so feel free to post more items below.

Cheers
Andrew
mrlukeparry

Re: Version 0.1 To-do List

Post by mrlukeparry »

I've been at home the past two weeks and sadly I have a feeling that I will be quite busy during next semester / term.

One thing we are missing in the API is some method for allowing the plugin to atleast get (i.e. select geometry features) and then save Geometry.
I guess the plugin currently could do this in its own method but I think this needs to be figured out because we all didn't come to a decision how to go about this.

We also need an example plugin that contains the basic functionality of a TPG so that plugin developers can have a better idea how to integrate this into FreeCAD.
Consequently it also tests the API. For example, we have a plugin that could select a line from a feature and uses this data to display its coordinates. Fairly simple functionality.

Obviously I don't expect 0.1 to be complete, but having the building blocks in place would be nice.

Also @arobinson, I am still not sure how the settings part in the API works, could you explain this in the TPG Developer Manual?
ariyama

Post by ariyama »

aj5robinson wrote:Hi All,

[*] Post Processor: Requires connecting the HeeksCNC post processor to the output of the tool path generation step[/*]

Cheers
Andrew
Hello,

The HeeksCNC post processor is the only item on the list that I might be able to tackle. I have some experience with HeeksCNC, though I haven't touched it in quite some time. I've built the head from the https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD_sf_master repo, but I don't know how to build the CAM portions. If someone can help me with that, I'll see if the post processing is something I can handle.

Thanks,
Andy
aj5robinson

Post by aj5robinson »

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your interest.
ariyama wrote:I've built the head from the https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD_sf_master repo, but I don't know how to build the CAM portions.
The Cam workbench isn't in the main repo yet (although there is an older attempt to include one in there which as far as I can tell does nothing). Our code is currently stored in https://github.com/mrlukeparry/FreeCAD_ ... ree/cam-py which is a clone of the main repo with the added Cam2 module (and the old one removed). The code is still quite immature so might be a bit unstable.
ariyama wrote:The HeeksCNC post processor is the only item on the list that I might be able to tackle
I forgot to mention above that Daniel Falck is also interested in the Post processor. He has have a fair bit of experience with the HeeksCNC post processor. I am sure he will appreciate some assistance with it, particularly if you have some C++ experience. He is presently away but I think he should be back in a few days. He will probably join the #freecad channel on freenode when he gets back.

Cheers
Andrew
ariyama

Post by ariyama »

Andrew,
aj5robinson wrote:Hi Andy,
The Cam workbench isn't in the main repo yet (although there is an older attempt to include one in there which as far as I can tell does nothing). Our code is currently stored in https://github.com/mrlukeparry/FreeCAD_ ... ree/cam-py which is a clone of the main repo with the added Cam2 module (and the old one removed). The code is still quite immature so might be a bit unstable.
Thanks. I'm grabbing the that.
I forgot to mention above that Daniel Falck is also interested in the Post processor. He has have a fair bit of experience with the HeeksCNC post processor. I am sure he will appreciate some assistance with it, particularly if you have some C++ experience. He is presently away but I think he should be back in a few days. He will probably join the #freecad channel on freenode when he gets back.
I develop mostly in C++, and know a smattering of python, so thats a good match. When Daniel returns I'll see what I can do to help him.

Regards,

Andy
Cheers
Andrew
danielfalck

Post by danielfalck »

aj5robinson wrote:Hi All,
[*] Workbench UI: There are a few items still remaining to be developed and/or integrated with the UI; Luke, can you please list these items so we can get someone working on them.[/*][/list]
Hi Andrew,
I am finally back from vacation.

After I started opening the new work bench, I realized that it's new panels don't look good to me. The TPG Library panel takes up too much room and doesn't really fit with the rest of the look and feel that FreeCAD has. Maybe it would be better to have the new panels open as new tabs around the Combo View/Task Panel?