Merging drawing_dimensioning into v0.17, help wanted

Merged, abandoned or rejected pull requests are moved here to clear the main Pull Requests forum.
hamish

Merging drawing_dimensioning into v0.17, help wanted

Post by hamish »

Hi,

The truth is that I have not had time to properly attend to drawing_dimensioning for over a year now.
As such, I am hanging up my drawing dimensioning hat.
Are there any users who are interested in taking over the project?
If so, its probably time to merge drawing_dimensioning with the 0.17 branch, and combine it with the drawing workbench.

My thanks again everyone who contributes FreeCAD, it really is a fantastic environment for hackable CAD.

Cheers,
Hamish
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Merging drawing_dimensioning into v0.17, help wanted

Post by DeepSOIC »

Hi!
Since TechDraw was merged recently, I think it may be no longer relevant to maintain DrawingDimensioning to support FC0.17. But my judgement may be incorrect, since I've never used DrawingDimensioning (because I don't do drawings in FC as of now).
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Just FYI, the Drawing Dimensioning add-on currently has more dimensioning and annotation tools than TechDraw. Until TechDraw catches up, Drawing Dimensioning can prove useful.

And let's not forget that even with TechDraw merged into master, the Drawing workbench is still included in 0.17.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

hamish, can you post link to the code?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Is GLP v3 OK for merging with the master if we ever make it compatible with v0.17?
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

NormandC wrote:Just FYI, the Drawing Dimensioning add-on currently has more dimensioning and annotation tools than TechDraw. Until TechDraw catches up, Drawing Dimensioning can prove useful.

And let's not forget that even with TechDraw merged into master, the Drawing workbench is still included in 0.17.
I agree too...
I uploaded a patched version @ github that is solving some radius and circular dimension tools @github
https://github.com/easyw/FreeCAD_drawing_dimensioning
for other users facility...

refers to
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16603&p=131229#p131167

Maurice
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I am not 100% sure on this one. I feel that FreeCAD 0.16 was the ideal choice for Drawing Dimensioning module. But it didn't happen. Now we have to start thinking about migration to TechDraw and PartDesign NEXT.

That is Drawing Dimensioning module would probably need to be updated to support PartDesign NEXT and we should decide if FreeCAD 0.17 should have 2 drawing related modules by default or not.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I agree with Triplus.

Only point i was thinking (but probably not possible) add the functions that exist in drawing_dimensioning side by side with Techdraw.
And after that replacing functionality from drawing_dimenioning to Techdraw.

In that case all functions work in a single workbench (virtualy) but are kind of clear of user perspective...
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

My opinion is that if Hamish won't want to work on drawing_dimensioning anymore, this is a situation where it would be interesting to embed the code in FreeCAD. Mainly because the code itself is precious, it is a highly valuable base to build further functionality, and we certainly don't want to loose it.

One thing indeed is a problem: the license. Although GPL is compatible with LGPL, we don't want to have GPL code in FreeCAD anymore, because we suffered a lot from that in the past, and we'd prefer to avoid passing through that again in the future. So the question is, Hamish, would you agree to change the license from GPL3 to LGPL2+? You would normally need to have the OK from all people who contributed code (I'm one of them and I agree ;) ). Then it's just a matter of changing the LICENSE file.

Another idea I have: Instead of creating one more workbench, why not add the drawing_dimensioning functionality to Drawing? It's not too much work, we can even leave the module organized as it is (on y the module, no new workbench), and just add the tools in Drawing... This way, the day TechDraw is fully mature, we can retire both Drawing and drawing_dimensioning...