Element Membrane M3D6

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

Groguigui

Re: ERROR : too many cutbacks

Post by Groguigui »

Thanks, that is very interesting! You're right, membrane element must be better in my case.

Actually, if I write M3D6 in "*element type", instead of S6, FreeCAD say :
*ERROR reading *SHELL SECTION: *SHELL SECTION can only be used for shell elements.
Element 11 is not a shell element.

Obviously, element 11 is the first of element of the list.

Do you know how can I resolve this error?

I use ccx2.9 but here http://www.dhondt.de/ccx_2.9.pdf, M3D6 already exist.
ulrich1a
Veteran

Re: Element Membrane M3D6

Post by ulrich1a »

Groguigui wrote:Do you know how can I resolve this error?
I could not find a hint in the manual, but for example for axisymmetric elements, you have to use a *SOLID SECTION but not a *SHELL SECTION.
So I would try to just replace the *SHELL with *SOLID.

Edit: Another try would be to replace *SHELL with *MEMBRANE
Calculix is partially compatible to Abaqus. So I sometimes look up information on Abaqus. See for example here: http://abaqusdoc.ucalgary.ca/v6.9/books ... 33sfsq.inp

Ulrich
Groguigui

Post by Groguigui »

It is exactly what I did, but this message appear :
*ERROR reading *SHELL SECTION: *SHELL SECTION can only be used for shell elements.
Elemenrt 11 is not a shell element.

But I don't understand totally if I must use *Shell Section or *Solid Section.
http://www.dhondt.de/ccx_2.12.pdf p445 :
*SHELL SECTION
Keyword type: model definition
This option is used to assign material properties to shell element sets. The parameter ELSET is required, one of the mutually exclusive parameters MATERIAL and COMPOSITE is required too, whereas the parameters ORIENTATION, NODAL THICKNESS, OFFSET are optional. The parameter ELSET
defines the shell element set to which the material specified by the parameterMATERIAL applies. The parameter ORIENTATION allows to assign local axes to the element set. If activated, the material properties are applied to the local axis. This is only relevant for non isotropic material behavior. The parameter NODAL THICKNESS indicates that the thickness for ALL nodes in the element set are defined with an extra *NODAL THICKNESS card and
that any thicknesses defined on the *SHELL SECTION card are irrelevant.
*SHELL SECTION
•Enter any needed parameters.
Second line if the parameter COMPOSITE is not used (only read if the first line does not contain NODAL THICKNESS):
•thickness
Second line if the parameter COMPOSITE is used (NODAL THICKNESS is not allowed):
If I understand, it is possible to simulate with shell elements in both cases :
This option is used to assign material properties to 3D, plane stress, plane strain, axisymmetric and truss element sets. The parameters ELSET and MATERIAL are required, the parameter ORIENTATION is optional
. The parameter ELSET defines the element set to which the material specified by the parameter MATERIAL applies. The parameter ORIENTATION allows to assign local axes to the element set. If activated, the material properties are applied to the local axis. This is only relevant for non isotropic material behavior. For plane stress and plane strain elements the thickness can be specified on the second line. Default is 1.
First line:
•*SOLID SECTION
•Enter any needed parameters.
Second line (only relevant for plane stress, plane strain and truss elements; can be omitted for axisymmetric and 3D elements):
• thickness for plane stress and plane strain elements, cross-sectional area for truss elements.
But my question is, the Error File provided is by Calculix or FreeCAD?

EDIT :
Currently, Calculix run because I wrote "planestress" in *Solid Section line.
*ERROR : increment size smaller than minimum best solution and residuals are in the frd file.
So, that is interesting.
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

After a little experimenting, I got a working calculix-file from an Abaqus-example. It has only M3D3 elements, but will give a start. I had to define the membrane thickness with *NODAL THICKNESS.

Ulrich

Code: Select all

*HEADING
: MEMBRANE LOADING  [M3D3]
*NODE, NSET=Nall
 1, 0.0, 0.0
 2, 2.0, 0.0
 3, 2.0, 1.0
 4, 0.0, 1.0
*NODAL THICKNESS
Nall, 1.0
*ELEMENT,TYPE=M3D3, ELSET=EALL
 1, 1,2,3
 2, 1,3,4
*SOLID SECTION,MATERIAL=A1, ELSET=EALL
*MATERIAL,NAME=A1
*ELASTIC,TYPE=ISOTROPIC
 30.0E6,0.3
*BOUNDARY
*STEP
*STATIC
*CLOAD
 2,1,  500.0
 3,1, -1500.0
 3,2, -1500.0
 4,1, -500.0
 4,2, -500.0
*ELEMENT OUTPUT
S,
E,
*OUTPUT,FREQUENCY=1
*NODE OUTPUT
U
*NODE PRINT, NSET=Nall
U
*EL PRINT, ELSET=EALL
 S,
 E,
*END STEP
Joseph1

Post by Joseph1 »

Hi,

I am working on a similar problem of trying to model a hyperelastic membrane with Calculix. The example above was very useful as there is not much information out there on using membrane elements in Calculix, however once I tried to run a similar problem (membrane under unidirectional tension - code below) with more elements and without constraining all out-of-plane displacements I found that Calculix produced some very unusual out-of-plane displacements that generally increase in magnitude with increasing number of elements.

Does anyone have any experience in dealing with out-of-plane displacements when using Calculix membrane elements?

Thanks,
Joseph

Code: Select all

*MATERIAL,NAME=rubber
*ELASTIC,type=ISOTROPIC
*DENSITY

*NODE, NSET=Nall
1,-1.0,-0.5,0.0
2,-1.0,0.0,0.0
3,-1.0,0.5,0.0
4,0.0,-0.5,0.0
7,1.0,-0.5,0.0

*NODAL THICKNESS
Nall,0.001
*ELEMENT, TYPE=M3D3, ELSET=EALL
*SOLID SECTION,MATERIAL=rubber,ELSET=EALL

*BOUNDARY

*STEP
*STATIC
*CLOAD
*DLOAD
*ELEMENT OUTPUT
S,
E,
*OUTPUT,FREQUENCY=1
*NODE OUTPUT
U
*NODE PRINT,NSET=Nall
U,
*EL PRINT,ELSET=Eall
S,E,
*END STEP
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

Joseph1 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:51 pm Does anyone have any experience in dealing with out-of-plane displacements when using Calculix membrane elements?
I do not have experience. But if one imagine, that membrane elements do not have any stiffness against bending, numerical instabilities can easily result in a bending moment causing out of plane movement. This may be especial the case with calculix, as there the membranes are expanded to an element with a thickness. This results into nodes out of the plane, where only slightly numerical different forces must create a bending moment.

Ulrich