Mesh Settings

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

HoWil
Veteran

Re: Mesh Settings

Post by HoWil »

Hi bernd,

I did again play a bit with Part-Design-Next for creating a mesh-region multi-domain mesh. Until now I was unsuccessful in creating such a mesh.

Is it possible for you to select a Part-Design-Next-'Part' (holding several bodies) and do the Boolean Fragments operation automatically?
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

HoWil wrote: I did again play a bit with Part-Design-Next for creating a mesh-region multi-domain mesh. Until now I was unsuccessful in creating such a mesh.

Is it possible for you to select a Part-Design-Next-'Part' (holding several bodies) and do the Boolean Fragments operation automatically?
Could you post an simple example file?
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

I try to rebuild the same model as before (box in a box) just using Part-Design-Next instead of Part-WB. PDS should be used in my opinion because of its superior creation processes.
The model I posted earlier can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18780&start=30#p148005

What I struggle with is:
* I do not know with which elements I should make the 'Boolean Fragments' operation, with the bodies with the solids in the bodies or with a top-level part-element.
* I noticed that after creation of the mesh at some point the solids and bodies were not found any more. See the output in the command line for the given example .fcstd when trying to remesh or select new materials:

Code: Select all

Can't find Origin for "Body"
Can't find Origin for "Body"
Can't find Origin for "Body001"
Can't find Origin for "Body001"
Solid <Solid object at 0x8208370> not found in: <Compound object at 0x27ecc40>
Problem: No element found for: <Solid object at 0x8208370>
Error: shapes for: MechanicalMaterialnot found!
Solid <Solid object at 0x8cea010> not found in: <Compound object at 0x85ba270>
Problem: No element found for: <Solid object at 0x8cea010>
Error: shapes for: MechanicalMaterialnot found!
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

I have not had the time to had a look at the PartDesignNext stuff. Will do this at last may be after the merge in master. Did change some code here and there. Would it be possible to test again? Solid selection of material objects work the same way as mesh region objects. Thus it is possible to select solids of Compounds an CompSolids. Old material objects might be broken. just recreate them.

https://github.com/berndhahnebach/FreeC ... meshregion

From my point of view we only need some testing again and an icon for the PullRequest.

Bernd
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

I will test it again during the next days using your current MeshRegion status.
I will also ask in the Part-Design-Next corner if there are any plans to "officially" introduce boolean fragments for parts and bodies.
BR Howil

Ps.: :D hopefully it will not fail due to the missing icon
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

bernd wrote:From my point of view we only need some testing again and an icon for the PullRequest.
Some test builds: https://github.com/sgrogan/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.17-dev
@bernd how do I make a FEM meshed cube with a square, triangle, circle on visible faces. Each meshed differently than the default cube. I'm behind on the Boolean fragment stuff. I'm thinking for an icon.
Like here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18207&start=10
"fight the good fight"
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

sgrogan wrote:@bernd how do I make a FEM meshed cube with a square, triangle, circle on visible faces. Each meshed differently than the default cube. I'm behind on the Boolean fragment stuff.
See attaches file, but it did not work. See attached scree. I'll have a look.
geometry_on_faces.fcstd
(23.33 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
screen.jpg
screen.jpg (374.29 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

sgrogan wrote:@bernd how do I make a FEM meshed cube with a square, triangle, circle on visible faces. Each meshed differently than the default cube. I'm behind on the Boolean fragment stuff.
I pushed a fix in the regard of multi solid body meshing. But the face by sketch on face of solid with smaller mesh does not yet work. I need to have a closer look.

How about such an icon?
mesgregiontest2.fcstd
(587.79 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
screen.jpg
screen.jpg (419.2 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

bernd wrote:How about such an icon?
I think this would work. It gets the idea across.
"fight the good fight"
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

bernd wrote:
See attaches file, but it did not work. See attached scree. I'll have a look.
Found the culprit. It is the compound. But it is something not that easy to fix. One problem are the exported node numbers from FreeCAD. But even if the node numbers are al right GMSH has problems if the shape is a Compound. The Solid or CompSolid has to be extracted from the Compound (BTW all booleans return Compounds: see viewtopic.php?t=16773) Best way to extract the Solid or CompSolid ist to use CompoundFilter from lattice2 workbench. Attached Screen and file ... I had to change the mesh region element size to add the file. Screen is made with 0.2
geometry_on_faces4.fcstd
(901.15 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
screen.jpg
screen.jpg (429.59 KiB) Viewed 2316 times