test request, mesh group object

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

bernd
Veteran

test request, mesh group object

Post by bernd »

Since a few people use FreeCAD FEM for meshing only it make sense to have an mesh group object. Means you do not need to have an analysis with constraints to make mesh groups. Just use the mesh group object instead. Here we are. As an addition it is possible to use the label instead the name as an identifier in the exported unv file. Would be cool if you guys could give it a try.

https://github.com/berndhahnebach/FreeC ... its/femdev
test.fcstd
(11.93 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
bernd
Veteran

Re: test request, mesh group object

Post by bernd »

It does not work for edges and vertices at the moment. Ahh we need an new icon for this !
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

Will give it a try.

Small usability remark on the previous version (see blow, maybe it was changed since).
In the main mesh task-dialog is the 'close' (cancel) button on the right while 'cancel' usually is alway left (meshregion, part-design-next WB, part-WB,..).
Is there a reason why it is the other way around as usual? I am only used to click in the task panel on the top right side to accept changes.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.9376 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: femdev
Hash: bf94b191161b10328f8a2c698a5058bb23a184e7
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.0.0
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

Two first impressions:
- FEMMeshRegion-elements are no more grouped into the main gmsh-mesh object..... is this intended?
- I tested the MehGroups for faces and solids it worked with labels :!: .... a small Christmas present :D ; Many THX

Usability:
- The 'Identifier used for mesh export' could be standardly switched to 'Label'. If the label is not changed its the same as the 'Name' and if somebody changes the label there is the intension to also export it !?
- Double-click on mesh-object should switch to FEM-WB similar to an FEM-analysis-object
makkemal

Post by makkemal »

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.9389 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: femdev
Hash: 93797e33b8fa6964e4c8b795ef5603a23425bff7
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Work for me
I think this is a step towards multiple meshes in a single analysis ?
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

HoWil wrote:Small usability remark on the previous version (see blow, maybe it was changed since).
In the main mesh task-dialog is the 'close' (cancel) button on the right while 'cancel' usually is alway left (meshregion, part-design-next WB, part-WB,..).
Is there a reason why it is the other way around as usual? I am only used to click in the task panel on the top right side to accept changes.
Try updated branch.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

HoWil wrote:Two first impressions:
- FEMMeshRegion-elements are no more grouped into the main gmsh-mesh object..... is this intended?
fixed in latest dev branch
HoWil wrote: - The 'Identifier used for mesh export' could be standardly switched to 'Label'. If the label is not changed its the same as the 'Name' and if somebody changes the label there is the intension to also export it !?
Since using the wrong character can brake the export at all I would like to leave the standard at name as long as there is no character check for the label.
HoWil wrote:- Double-click on mesh-object should switch to FEM-WB similar to an FEM-analysis-objec
Change it ATM, but I'm not sure if we should use it because netgen mesh does not change the wb at double click an no other FEM object does change the wb on double click
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

makkemal wrote:I think this is a step towards multiple meshes in a single analysis ?
Not really. The multiple mesh is still in my mind too but the material task panel discussion it a bit more in my mind. But this is another topic I would like to make some contributions for. Step by step. It's not much spare time on Christmas, lot's of family events ... :D
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

Hi Bernd,
I did test the Mesh-Group again. This time in conjunction with a real Elmer-simulation and it did work like a charm :!: !!

I created a multi-body model with groups for inner and outer boundaries as well as groups for different domains.
The exported .unv mesh was then used with a solver-input file for ElmerSolver while using the labels introduced in FC. The .sif file was adopted as described here.... http://www.elmerfem.org/forum/viewtopic ... dc4#p15341 .
Finally could i easily change geometry values in FC and re-run the Elmer-simulation 8-) .

Thanks again,
HoWil
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »