add new function to fem module

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: add new function to fem module

Post by Jee-Bee »

bernd wrote:best is to use my developmentbranch which will be merged into master soon for rebasing.

https://github.com/berndhahnebach/FreeC ... its/femdev
I try to do that next time...
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I have all working again (what works before at least)... try to rebase it with you're branch tomorow...
Do you know if it is possibel to have two upstreams?

Only reading out the Buckle values as Modes i can't get it to work... and have no clue what's wrong. after rebasing i shall post the code link
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Jee-Bee wrote:Do you know if it is possibel to have two upstreams?
Fixed one to go!
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

The rebasing annoys me! Everythime i rebase i have to redo the same changes again :( :?
twangrt

Post by twangrt »

What happened to this thread?

I was poking around trying to do the same as Jee-Bee. Adding buckle analysis seem like low hanging fruit, and at the same time learning the structure of the FEM addon.

I have created a new analysis type for the calculix solver, and think i have got things working. But ive been wrong before :D
Attachments
screenshotjpg.jpg
screenshotjpg.jpg (348.94 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

At the saem time Jee-Bee tried to implement the buckling I made heavy changes on the solver code, unfortunately. Thus it was very difficault for him to follow up. Eventually he stoped development on this and I never did continue to integrate what has done so far.

If you have somthing working in this regard it would be great if you would share your code. We could integrate it in the FEM code. This is best done by the use of github.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I have to completly restart again. After that moment i have started at least once but i have only time to start and not enough time to finish i'm not deep enough in programming or the the FC FEM source code to do it quickly.
When i have infinite time i'm sure i fix it.
If you have a better understanding of programming and of the FC FEM source code feel free to do it. every step the FEM toolbox grow is one!
twangrt

Post by twangrt »

bernd wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:35 am At the saem time Jee-Bee tried to implement the buckling I made heavy changes on the solver code, unfortunately. Thus it was very difficault for him to follow up. Eventually he stoped development on this and I never did continue to integrate what has done so far.

If you have somthing working in this regard it would be great if you would share your code. We could integrate it in the FEM code. This is best done by the use of github.
My intention was never to bash at anyone. Was curios, because after I started to tinker I found this thread.

I´ve created a pull request: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4379

It´s functional but it maybe needs some more bug testing/and or checks.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

adding a simple example for which the buckling factor and buckling load could be calculated with a calculator would be great. May be a simple column? We even could use this for a unit test for the new feature.

See FEM examples here: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/tree ... emexamples
twangrt

Post by twangrt »

bernd wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:59 am adding a simple example for which the buckling factor and buckling load could be calculated with a calculator would be great. May be a simple column? We even could use this for a unit test for the new feature.

See FEM examples here: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/tree ... emexamples
Sure! I´ll have a look on the examples. I can make a column example, or a beam. It doesnt matter. I think I will do a steel profile, a little more fun. See below for an test i did earlier of an short cantilever steelbeam that I exported to vtk.
Attachments
bucklemode1_shortcantileverhea.jpg
bucklemode1_shortcantileverhea.jpg (453.79 KiB) Viewed 1885 times