Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) workbench using OpenFOAM

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

PrzemoF
Veteran

Re: Fork of CFD workbench

Post by PrzemoF »

bernd wrote:hi oliver

do you have in mind, there might be people who would like to install both, yours and the one of xia. You might use a different name and thus a different folder name.

bernd

great to see so much development in this regard!
@bernd,
+1
@oliver,
Keeping the same name will lead to confusion of users and future developers.
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Thank you for the comments and interest. We will think of a new name and take action on this shortly.

There was a glitch with the Windows build - we left out the README file! :roll: This has been updated and hopefully will resolve uncertainty about the dependencies. The '.;' directory was just a glitch and has been removed.
Please provide all the information requested in this post before reporting problems with CfdOF.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

johan wrote:Gnuplot, Paraview and OpenFOAM is included in the blueCFD binary of OpenFOAM (please see the readme). We did not want to include/package it because it is really large (+700 MB). We thought it might be best if the user download it directly and install it?!
Definitely, this is what I expected but I was confused by the elbow tutorial.
WINDOWS:
● Install the binary. All necessary software
components are included.
oliveroxtoby wrote:There was a glitch with the Windows build - we left out the README file! :roll: This has been updated and hopefully will resolve uncertainty about the dependencies. The '.;' directory was just a glitch and has been removed.
Thanks!
Next question, I noticed that some PyFoam stuff is duplicated in FreeCAD/bin/Scripts and FreeCAD\bin\Lib\site-packages\PyFoam-0.6.6-py2.7.egg\EGG-INFO\scripts?
The reason I ask is that I am trying to move the PyFoam stuff to %appdata%/FreeCAD so it is available for all my FreeCAD versions.
"fight the good fight"
r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

Hi there .

During sunday i had some time for attempting a first test drive and i wanted to share some first thoughts.

Background:
I am a mechanical engineer working at a company (200 people) producing valves (shut-on/shut-off/regulation) of different sizes.
I am working in R&D-Department and using now for almost 15 years
SolidWorks 3D for doing designs
SolidWorks Simulation for doing FEM(FEA) studies
SolidWorks FlowSimulation for doing CFD-simulations (99% cv-value simulation)
COMSOL Multiphysics (we had prior one license of ANSOFT MAXWELL 2D) for simulating electro-magnetics.

I didn't want to touch my live Windows 7 64-bit Installation so i booted my Linux Mint 17.3 Installation (i am quite new to Linux Mint ...)

As basis i used your CFD-Tutorial 1 - Elbow.

Observations:
1) when linking to documents on Github, we FORCE to Show/open the RAW-Version of the document, This way the download will
succeed. I had some struggle to download a working PDF

2) Installation on LINUX
I was missing the Information that a 0.17-devlopment Version (maybe a Minimum git number ?) is needed.
If you only write that FreeCAD is needed people will install from the repository or the 0.16 stable release ...

I was able to install all libraries/dependencies BUT OpenFoam 4.1
I downloaded the deb-package and upon starting Installation, a red error message said "unable to install".
Since i am quite new to Linux Mint i didn't see any possiblity to find out what exactly was wrong ...
Perhaps if you would try try install on a clean machine maybe you are able to tell more about that ?

3) Documentation
In SolidWorks/SolidWorks Simulation i am used to model the solid body and model/define the lids.
Per algorithm the program will evaluate the (internal) fluid body excluding cavities without flow condition
and will highlight the fluid region with some sort of "bounding box".

It took me some time to realize that for simulation in OpenFOAM you need to model the fluid body and apply there
all needed boundaries/goals.
It would be nice to have this Information as introductory sentence in the PDF.

Perhaps writing in the documentation that the "slip"-boundary Need to be applied to the OUTER wall
would make the info clearer (OK in FreeCAD it would be a struggle to select the inner walls,
but more precise Information wouldn't hurt)

4) General first observation
Hard to tell for me how much programming work on Linux it is, but upon starting the CFD-Workbench,
maybe checking if all libs and dependecies and FreeCAD-Version-Number is/are OK would be a good idea ?

Sorry that this text got longer than expected, thanks for reading.

Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

We have now renamed this fork of the workbench to 'CFDFoam'. The Windows build is updated and the git repository moves to https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdFoam.
Please provide all the information requested in this post before reporting problems with CfdOF.
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

sgrogan wrote: Definitely, this is what I expected but I was confused by the elbow tutorial.
WINDOWS:
● Install the binary. All necessary software
components are included.
Quite right! We'll correct this, thanks.
sgrogan wrote: Next question, I noticed that some PyFoam stuff is duplicated in FreeCAD/bin/Scripts and FreeCAD\bin\Lib\site-packages\PyFoam-0.6.6-py2.7.egg\EGG-INFO\scripts?
The reason I ask is that I am trying to move the PyFoam stuff to %appdata%/FreeCAD so it is available for all my FreeCAD versions.
Neither is actually needed for our usage of PyFoam, AFAIK. These files got there by using the supplied installation script to install PyFoam into the python installation bundled in FreeCAD (but perhaps there is a better method).
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

r-frank wrote: During sunday i had some time for attempting a first test drive and i wanted to share some first thoughts.
Hi Roland, thanks for taking the time to do this.
r-frank wrote: As basis i used your CFD-Tutorial 1 - Elbow.

Observations:
1) when linking to documents on Github, we FORCE to Show/open the RAW-Version of the document, This way the download will
succeed. I had some struggle to download a working PDF
We'll have a look at a better way when time permits.
r-frank wrote: 2) Installation on LINUX
I was missing the Information that a 0.17-devlopment Version (maybe a Minimum git number ?) is needed.
If you only write that FreeCAD is needed people will install from the repository or the 0.16 stable release ...
Good point. We've added this information to the Readme.
r-frank wrote: I was able to install all libraries/dependencies BUT OpenFoam 4.1
I downloaded the deb-package and upon starting Installation, a red error message said "unable to install".
Since i am quite new to Linux Mint i didn't see any possiblity to find out what exactly was wrong ...
Perhaps if you would try try install on a clean machine maybe you are able to tell more about that ?
I'm afraid I have no knowledge of Linux Mint. It would certainly be possible (if nothing else, building from source), but I would recommend installing on one of the officially supported distributions listed at https://openfoam.org/download/4-1-linux/ to avoid a lengthy process. Failing that, the Windows installation is likely to be the safest option to avoid dependency headaches.
r-frank wrote: 3) Documentation
In SolidWorks/SolidWorks Simulation i am used to model the solid body and model/define the lids.
Per algorithm the program will evaluate the (internal) fluid body excluding cavities without flow condition
and will highlight the fluid region with some sort of "bounding box".

It took me some time to realize that for simulation in OpenFOAM you need to model the fluid body and apply there
all needed boundaries/goals.
It would be nice to have this Information as introductory sentence in the PDF.

Perhaps writing in the documentation that the "slip"-boundary Need to be applied to the OUTER wall
would make the info clearer (OK in FreeCAD it would be a struggle to select the inner walls,
but more precise Information wouldn't hurt)
Thanks, we'll try to consider this perspective next time we go over the documentation.
r-frank wrote: 4) General first observation
Hard to tell for me how much programming work on Linux it is, but upon starting the CFD-Workbench,
maybe checking if all libs and dependecies and FreeCAD-Version-Number is/are OK would be a good idea ?
Agreed, and we actually have this in the pipeline.
Christoph

Post by Christoph »

Hello,

I tried the new CfdFOAM Workbench today but got a problem writing the case. I defined the path to blueCFD according the README file, but get always the following output error:

18.1: Error writing case:
18.1: Command '['C:\\Program Files\\blueCFD-Core-2016\\OpenFOAM-4.x\\..\\msys64\\usr\\bin\\bash', '--login', '-O', 'expand_aliases', '-c', 'cd "/c/Users/Christoph/Documents/TestCFD/case" && ideasUnvToFoam "/c/Users/Christoph/Documents/TestCFD/case/case.unv" > log.ideasUnvToFoam 2>&1']' returned non-zero exit status 127
18.2: Write case setup file failed

Would be nice if someone could me help there.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10432 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 84ac526f62b394dba749e3086b6787308d5c7702
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.0.0
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Christoph wrote:Hello,

I tried the new CfdFOAM Workbench today but got a problem writing the case. I defined the path to blueCFD according the README file, but get always the following output error:

18.1: Error writing case:
18.1: Command '['C:\\Program Files\\blueCFD-Core-2016\\OpenFOAM-4.x\\..\\msys64\\usr\\bin\\bash', '--login', '-O', 'expand_aliases', '-c', 'cd "/c/Users/Christoph/Documents/TestCFD/case" && ideasUnvToFoam "/c/Users/Christoph/Documents/TestCFD/case/case.unv" > log.ideasUnvToFoam 2>&1']' returned non-zero exit status 127
18.2: Write case setup file failed

Would be nice if someone could me help there.
The following may give you more information:
* Enable Tools | Panels | Report view
* Right click in the report panel that appears, go to Options and check all the options to display all output.
* Try to write the case again and see what output appears.
makkemal

Post by makkemal »

When can we have this available via "addon manager" ?
The name has now and directory has now changed