[POLL] PartOrigin and BodyOrigin visible by default or not?

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!

Do you want PartOrigin and BodyOrigin features to be visible by default?

Yes! I want the datum axes and planes to be visible by default. I'll put them to good use!
45%
No! Don't clutter my screen space, I prefer to toggle them on. And off. And on. And off. And...
55%

Total votes: 22
NormandC
Veteran

[POLL] PartOrigin and BodyOrigin visible by default or not?

Post by NormandC »

Okay guys, really. Aren't you proud of your work? Don't you want to show it? ;)

When creating a new Part or new Body, the PartOrigin or BodyOrigin are hidden by default. These contain the standard datum axes and planes. Those are some of the great stuff we'd been waiting for, and I definitely want for them to be visible by default once a Part or Body is created because I will use them! :)
FC_017_PDN_BodyOrigin_PartOrigin_01.png
FC_017_PDN_BodyOrigin_PartOrigin_01.png (50.04 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
BTW, I'm assuming that apart from the PartOrigin and BodyOrigin icons, the tape measure icon is just a placeholder, and that new icons would be required?

This time, no "I don't mind" option. I've checked "Allow re-voting" so you can always change your vote!

P.S. I'm doing these polls, and may make more in the future, to gauge opinions before creating feature requests on Mantis. There's no sense in creating requests if there is no consensus or at least a majority.
cox

Re: [POLL] PartOrigin and BodyOrigin visible by default or not?

Post by cox »

I have been thinking about this myself, and I have not gotten to a place where I can say for certain what I feel. My leaning now is that some kind of clever automation could be the solution. I have found that 3 visible placement objects can become confusing for me when they occupy the same space.

Some ideas:
- Keyboard shortcut hide/show, one for BodyOrigin Axis, one for BodyOrigin Plane and one for both.
- Context menu entry for the above in 3d view.
- Automatically show the 2-3 newest BodyOrigin and hide the oldest as new ones are created, if made visible manually it stays visible, unaffected by further automation.
- Instead of both Axis and Planes become automatically visible at at the same time, one of them might be chosen to help reduce potential clutter. To me axis is the best candidate as planes by them selves do not have any centre mark.

I do recognise that stuff disappearing from view automatically could, be very confusing :D

And as KDE user, I would love this to be user configurable :oops:
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Just as a side note, currently all tools should make the datum planes and axes visible when they are valid inputs. For example creating a new sketch shows all lanes, a revolution all axis. If this does not happen for a tool it must be considered a bug.
cox

Post by cox »

On your screenshot @NormandC, I see both part and body indicated as active at the same time, does that make any sens? I can not figure what will happen if some operation was executed? I have not tried yet as I have not been playing with Part objects much in Part Design Next.
Sawfish

Post by Sawfish »

NormandC wrote: P.S. I'm doing these polls, and may make more in the future, to gauge opinions before creating feature requests on Mantis. There's no sense in creating requests if there is no consensus or at least a majority.
I don’t think it is a good idea to base request of features only on votes. One could look a Wikipedia where decision is made on both discussion and votes. Votes are public on Wikipedia so voters can be asked to elaborate their opinion.

ZF
cox

Post by cox »

Sawfish wrote:
NormandC wrote: P.S. I'm doing these polls, and may make more in the future, to gauge opinions before creating feature requests on Mantis. There's no sense in creating requests if there is no consensus or at least a majority.
I don’t think it is a good idea to base request of features only on votes. One could look a Wikipedia where decision is made on both discussion and votes. Votes are public on Wikipedia so voters can be asked to elaborate their opinion.

ZF
There is quite a difference between wiki editing and software development i guess, in that most often the amount of work that is needed to be put in to a change is greater in software development, and somebody has to do the work. So no matter how much voting goes on, changes will not appear in master code automatically. In addition to this friction there is also the main developers with infinite wisdom, to keep us all safe and the commits sensible(Thanks) :D

There was recently a really nice voting process, where the voting might not have been the most important thing to come out of it, but the back and forth discussion that the voting induced, was at least very meaningful to me. I changed opinions at least a couple of times in response to good arguments.

EDIT: I would not mind the votes to be public, probably a good idea.
Sawfish

Post by Sawfish »

cox wrote: There is quite a difference between wiki editing and software development i guess, in that most often the amount of work that is needed to be put in to a change is greater in software development...
Off topic: Not really, you would be surprised to see how much effort and knowledge dedicated editors put into Wikipedia.
cox wrote: There was recently a really nice voting process, where the voting might not have been the most important thing to come out of it, but the back and forth discussion that the voting induced, was at least very meaningful to me. I changed opinions at least a couple of times in response to good arguments.
I agree, but the introduction to that particular thread was also different. It could be used as a reference.
I didn’t mean to start a larger discussion, just point out some minor improvement.

Best regards
ZF
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I think this could be solved acceptably by an option in Preferences/Part Design: "show datum axes and planes by default upon Part and Body creation".
cox wrote:On your screenshot @NormandC, I see both part and body indicated as active at the same time, does that make any sens?
I have no idea how that happened. I created the file for the purpose of getting a screen grab, I didn't keep it.
ickby wrote:For example creating a new sketch shows all lanes, a revolution all axis. If this does not happen for a tool it must be considered a bug.
After testing I can attest it works. But I was reproducing the same work flow we've always used in PartDesign: first select a face, then create a new sketch. So here I obviously selected a plane before creating a sketch.
ezzieyguywuf

Post by ezzieyguywuf »

Perhaps a feature whereby a Datum Plane that is selected (or hovered over maybe?) in the Tree thing on the left is highlighted in the 3D model space? I think Solidworks does something like this, and it's useful for keeping them planes out of the way when you don't need them, but showing them to you when you're trying to orient yourself.