Unused Sketcher commands?

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Unused Sketcher commands?

Post by kkremitzki »

There are two commands in the toolbar which I suspect are holdouts from a previous workflow:
  • View sketch perpendicular to sketch plane
  • Close the editing of the sketch
I'm assuming they're unused, so I made a branch which removes them and adds a useful Sketcher command, to edit the selected sketch object.
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comp ... 2?expand=1

Is this OK for a PR?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
ian.rees

Re: Unused Sketcher commands?

Post by ian.rees »

kkremitzki wrote: [*] View sketch perpendicular to sketch plane
I find this one quite handy - it's really easy to end up with the sketch in a funny orientation in the 3D view, this button gets it right back where it should be.

In general, I think if you're going to remove a command like this, that the code that implements it should also go away (in this case, see src/Mod/Sketcher/Gui/Command.cpp ) . Otherwise we end up with a bunch of dead code that sucks resources (mainly meaning development effort). -Ian-
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Yes, good idea to remove those. They seem to have been forgotten.

@ianrees: Those command will ony be removed from PartDesign, where you cant use them anyway. When editing a sketch FreeCAD changes to the sketcher workbench where they are still available.
ian.rees

Post by ian.rees »

Ahh, got it, thanks! -Ian-
Hannu

Post by Hannu »

For what it is worth,
The "View sketch perpendicular to sketch plane" command is VERY useful if you are exploring sketches when *not in the sketcher*.
;)
/Hannu - engineer & mild :geek:
- Embedded, Computer, Software, Electronic, Fault analysis. A&D Photography http://flickr.com/arkane
- Mechanics, FDM 3D-prints, Solder, Lathe, Mill, Weld -work. ISO Audits, Claim, Deviation, Corrective action
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Hannu wrote:For what it is worth,
The "View sketch perpendicular to sketch plane" command is VERY useful if you are exploring sketches when *not in the sketcher*.
;)
If you aren't in sketch mode, though, the button is greyed out, and if you are in sketch mode, then you've switched from the Part Design workbench, so there's no reason for the button to be in PD.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.