No active Body

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
hedgehog

No active Body

Post by hedgehog »

Hi,
This is not a help request just a bug report before I move back to stable...
Note I have registered with FreeCAD Mantis bug tracker, and was able to submit one bug report 3003, but now it seems I cannot submit any further bug reports. Am I going mad or is there some config setting in Mantis that makes this so?

Steps to reproduce:
1. Fresh install of FreeCAD (version details below)
2. Follow this[1] tutorial until 26:11
3. Get The error shown in the attached screenshot when selecting the extrude tool.
4. NOTE: When I stop editing the sketch there is no 2D image of the square as can be seen in the tutorial.

Version Details:
Version: 0.17.10707 (Git)LTS
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 6
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 04a3283000cfdf92b26c54fd4ae7a0fbd636a74b
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0

Hope this helps.
Hedgehog

[1]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HEvhclR4-o&spfreload=5
Screenshot from 2017-04-09 15-48-59.png
Screenshot from 2017-04-09 15-48-59.png (177.43 KiB) Viewed 18699 times
wmayer
Founder

Re: No active Body

Post by wmayer »

It's not really a bug but at least somewhat annoying. When loading a project file you must first double-click a body object to make it active. I think there are some discussions about it to automate this on project load.
CyberGolem

Post by CyberGolem »

What does it mean to "double-click a body object"? In short, what is a body object? I presumed it meant the main object at the root of the Labels & Attributes tree...?

Anyway, I've double-clicked everything in the model tab and in the working window, but keep getting the same error window when trying to apply a sketch to a single face. If the entire object is double-clicked, the multi-plane selection appears, but that's for the entire object, not a single face.

The tutorial being followed is this one :: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBKhBwS ... rj&index=3

The main item is built in the Parts workbench, it's when I go into the Parts Design workbench that this issue arises. Another forum member said these two workbenches no longer play together like they did in previous versions, so I have a feeling what you're saying about the body object is likely part of the solution. However, my intuition of what a body object is may not be correct.

There's an obvious gap in my knowledge; what am I missing here?

Version 0.17
Revision 13522 (Git)
Win10 64 bit
Cannondale Synapse Road Bike
~Chaz
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

However this is a help request and not a Development Question...

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/PartDesign_Workbench here you can find all information needed about what is a body and how to use it.

Probably you're second question is how do i get my in Part generated objects into part design... Check shape binder (You find it while reading)
CyberGolem

Post by CyberGolem »

Thanks.
~Chaz