0.17: Refer to Bug 3012: Deleting a feature from the tree does not propagate (update) the object properly.

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rjpeek

0.17: Refer to Bug 3012: Deleting a feature from the tree does not propagate (update) the object properly.

Post by rjpeek »

I've attach two file below. In the groove file, if you try to delete the groove feature from the tree, the groove is not being removed from Pocket (last feature). The same is true for the pocket file, deleting the pocket feature from the tree, the pocket is not removed from Pad001 (last feature).
pocket.fcstd
(13.99 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
groove.fcstd
(13.99 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10807 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: b32e9806e1b075c745c0c9692e81aea1dcab81e4
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: 0.17: Refer to Bug 3012: Deleting a feature from the tree does not propagate (update) the object properly.

Post by Kunda1 »

Please link back to the ticket:
issue #3012
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Re: 0.17: Refer to Bug 3012: Deleting a feature from the tree does not propagate (update) the object properly.

Post by chrisb »

rjpeek wrote:It's not a bug. In the groove file, if you try to delete the groove feature from the tree, the groove is not being removed from Pocket (last feature). The same is true for the pocket file, deleting the pocket feature from the tree, the pocket is not removed from Pad001 (last feature).
That's not a bug. You cannot delete an intermediate state (groove in your first example) and expect that follow up states - which rely on that groove - are still working. You get an error in your model tree and the 3D view stays in its last wellformed state.
As for future bug reports:
- Please ask here first
- As long as you are not familiar with FreeCAD it might be better to use the stable version 0.16.0607.
- If you must use the error prone development version (0.17.xxxxx) you should double check if the error exists in the stable 0.16 version as well.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
rjpeek

Post by rjpeek »

Sorry chrisb,

NormandC was helping me with this post https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 45#p169845. I was asking why can't I delete a feature from the tree.
NormandC wrote:Unfortunately, if you delete Pocket004, the Body will no longer be selectable for the Part Mirror tool. I don't understand why. It's probably a bug. Part Mirror works if Pocket004 remains under Body.
May be I misunderstood what NormandC was saying since he was referring to the Body. I though it was possible to remove middle features from the tree. Since your saying it's not, then my only option is to delete the last two features and redraw the last wanted feature? What if someone has a completed model with six or more features and they want to remove the second or third feature? How do they recover without starting over?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

rjpeek wrote:May be I misunderstood what NormandC was saying
I'm afraid you did. I was referring to the fact that the Part Mirror tool does not reliably recognize a Body as a valid shape to mirror. It's a totally different issue.

As Chris wrote, what you are describing is not a bug. It's not that you can't remove features from the middle of the tree, it's that when you do, you break links. Think of a house of cards: if you remove a card from a middle stage, the house will come crashing down because the upper cards are no longer supported.

Taking for example the groove.fcstd file. You delete the Groove operation. But the problem is that Sketch002 used for Pocket was mapped on the top face of Groove. Hence you are breaking the link between Sketch002 and the base model. In the Model tree, the Pocket feature now has an explanation point over it. Hovering over the icon, the following message appears that explains the problem:
No sketch support and no base shape: Please tell me where to remove the material of the pocket!
So you need to recreate the sketch support.
  1. Make Pad visible
  2. Select the top face of Pad
  3. Click on the Image Sketcher MapSketch icon
  4. In the drop down dialog that appears, select Sketch002 and click OK
  5. In the Sketch attachment dialog, select FlatFace (actual) (suggested) and click OK
  6. Click on the Image Refresh icon
  7. Set the Pocket feature visible.