What is needed and Release 14 Issues

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jrheinlaender

Re: What is needed and Release 14 Issues

Post by jrheinlaender »

triplus wrote:
Let me know if you want to have a package for an Ubuntu version other than precise.
Yes RR version would be great.
Done!
jrheinlaender

Post by jrheinlaender »

it would be good to have preselection/selection highlighting on datum planes.

I miss the icon preview of the old sketch plane dialog.
I added these two to the MUST-HAVE/WOULD-LIKE-TO-HAVE threads
I have not managed to get booleans between bodies to work. The list is always empty, a boolean feature is added but it seems empty.
I suppose you clicked on "add body" in the panel dialog of the boolean feature?
The idea is that a boolean feature always has a parent (the body which you must select to be able to create the feature) and then you can add any number of children to it which will be fused or cut out depending on what type of operation you choose.
After I've created the second body, I have trouble working on the first and add features (even if I double-clicked on the label to activate it). I mapped a sketch on the last feature and tried to pocket or pad it without success.
Could you post that part? I couldn't reproduce the problem
Datum plane: Reference 2, Reference 3 and angle field are greyed out with no apparent way to use them
The dialog tries to be intelligent, so you can only select as many references as are required to create the plane. You have probably already selected a plane, then there are no further references required, just an offset is possible.
If you want a plane at an angle, select an edge or a datum line first.
When I try to change the datum plane's placement angle in its properties, it is as soon set to its original value. Same thing with the Edit --> Placement utility.
I'm pretty sure that is intentional. A datum plane should depend only on its references.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

jrheinlaender wrote:I suppose you clicked on "add body" in the panel dialog of the boolean feature?
Yes.
jrheinlaender wrote:The idea is that a boolean feature always has a parent (the body which you must select to be able to create the feature) and then you can add any number of children to it which will be fused or cut out depending on what type of operation you choose.
But that's it, I selected a body prior to clicking on the boolean tool, no children were available even though I had two bodies with each a few features, and the selection box was empty.

Isn't boolean used to fuse/cut bodies from each other, like the part booleans? From what I see it doesn't work, or I've been unable to determine the working procedure. An example would be useful.
jrheinlaender wrote:Could you post that part? I couldn't reproduce the problem
Unfortunately I didn't save it.

I'll test the datum planes with the info you gave me and I'll get back to you with a part file if I can reproduce the boolean problem. BTW I guess this topic shouldn't be the one for that kind of specific discussion...
jrheinlaender

Post by jrheinlaender »

The work flow for booleans is:

1. Select a body in the tree
2. Create a boolean feature with this body as the parent
3. Click on "add body"
4. Choose a body from the main window by clicking on any face belonging to it

After that the body you clicked on should appear in the dialog panel and in the tree as a child of the boolean feature
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

jrheinlaender wrote:
triplus wrote:
Let me know if you want to have a package for an Ubuntu version other than precise.
Yes RR version would be great.
Done!
Thanks i installed it and my first question would be what is the concept of boolean part compared to boolean operations in Part Workbench and use cases for datum points/lines. I figure they should be used as reference point to something else but for what exactly could they reference currently in FreeCAD?

Datum planes works nicely and i can create one and put sketch on it... and i figure they serve as reference planes for sketches currently in FreeCAD.

P.S. First thing i noticed and could be improved is when something is selected it should change color in 3D view.
jrheinlaender

Post by jrheinlaender »

Thanks i installed it and my first question would be what is the concept of boolean part compared to boolean operations in Part Workbench
I don't work a lot with the Part Workbench. But you certainly shouldn't mix Part and PartDesign since PartDesign features must ALLWAYS belong to a body whereas Part features will get placed outside of all bodies at the top level.

You only need PartDesign booleans if you are modelling with a multi-body approach So if your're coming from Pro/E or Inventor you probably won't need them. But I have a feeling that OCC can't handle the complexity of models created with the single-body approach so in the end you might have to go for the multi-body approach anyway.
Use cases for datum points/lines. I figure they should be used as reference point to something else but for what exactly could they reference currently in FreeCAD?
First use case is for creating datum planes e.g. if you want to have a datum plane at an angle to another plane then you must first select a datum line (or an edge) and then the plane and then the angle. And points again might be required to create the lines
Second use case for datum lines is as a rotation axis for revolved features, or a polar pattern, etc.

I am currently working on two tutorials where I model the same part with the single-body and the multi-body approach. I haven't got very far yet but the beginning is here:

http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... Tutorial_I
P.S. First thing i noticed and could be improved is when something is selected it should change color in 3D view.
I already put that down in the "MUST-HAVE" thread.