What is needed and Release 14 Issues

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: What is needed and Release 14 Issues

Post by triplus »

It is not implemented in the Part Design Chamfer/Fillet, but it is in the Part Chamfer/Fillet tools. The Part tools work differently and they nest their parent under them, so it's a matter of preference.
I forgot about that. I spend most of the time in Part Design workbench and i have custom toolbar to add some features from other workbenches but now when ruled surface got the direction support now i will probably be in Part workbench more often and my custom toolbar will get new member.

About regular users testing dev branches... probably if there would be a branch all developers would feel comfortable committing to without much testing (not master) and that would be build and available on something like PPA for Ubuntu. This could work in my opinion everything else that assumes regular user has some degree of knowledge needed to build/run/test/report/... doesn’t have much chance in my opinion.

For example testing current render/drawing/assembly/part/arch... well i can test and report what is available on daily PPA and that is about it. About drawing workbench stuff that is not available on daily PPA i can only read about it for now:

http://freecadamusements.blogspot.co.uk ... ional.html
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Thanks Luke, it was clear to me after posting that I needed to do something like what you suggested. I wish git allowed for cloning a branch directly instead of cloning master then having to switch to another branch manually.

This just proves what I was saying, it needs to be clearly laid down if you want more testers. And by clear I mean git-challenged people proof.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

If developers would like more testers of their latest work not yet available in master i don't believe procedure should include dealing with git at all. Some sort of "drop your stuff/code here freely and don't care too much it's not finished yet" for developers and "build this stuff automatically" for users to download and test and give feedback would do.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

The idea of switching to git was to give developers flexibility. Making separate branches is actually git's advantage. I think asking everyone to push their untested work into a single repository would create a lot of headaches. That's about what they were doing on subversion, and why they switched to git in the first place.
triplus wrote:About regular users testing dev branches... probably if there would be a branch all developers would feel comfortable committing to without much testing (not master) and that would be build and available on something like PPA for Ubuntu. This could work in my opinion everything else that assumes regular user has some degree of knowledge needed to build/run/test/report/... doesn’t have much chance in my opinion.
Launchpad's autobuild system only works with bazaar (bzr) branches, Canonical's own VCS system. You can create a bzr branch by cloning a git repository, but it needs to be master, branches are not supported. So there is currently no way to do what you suggest, though I agree in the end-user point of view it would be the easiest way.

I'm not even sure it would be possible to create packages manually. Launchpad requires the use of debuild, and I do not know if debuild can build a deb package out of a branch rather than master. Then there is the question of having two separate FreeCAD installation (say the daily-ppa one and a special branch one). With deb packages it is not currently possible because they share the same executable name and paths.

What would help tremendously would be an automated script that does everything and that the would-be tester only needs to launch.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

What would help tremendously would be an automated script that does everything and that the would-be tester only needs to launch.
Yes this could work but this would still need some sort of the system every developer would follow OR to have the script that deals with separate dev branches and each developer maintains it's own. If it works for him it should for others too... Basically each developer could share his knowledge how he builds his own stuff because each developer is already doing this and probably the process could or already is automated... and by sharing this i bet developers too could benefit by "comparing notes"...

But probably not all of the developers use Linux/Ubuntu and that would complicate things a bit... If it comes down to running a few commands that pulls the code and build-deps and builds FreeCAD from selected branch and runs it from that folder... That could work at least for Linux/Ubuntu users as something in the range of "Ubuntu Charms". But would this be used by more then one or two users + maybe some devs this is the question...
nithinrao

Post by nithinrao »

Thanks a lot triplus for the work around, But i already knew it and why it happens, i was only trying to make a point to get in the direction selector. Maybe the following picture explains in a better way, why we need it. See the surface to the right and the one to the left. They are different. even though the connection is between two non-parallel, non intersecting lines on perpendicular planes. So with the direction selector the user can decide which surface is the one he really needs. Also observe the way i had to criss cross the lines middle lines to get the two different surfaces. In case i had simply drawn a rectangle like the first sketch, both surfaces would have been the same.

http://s21.postimg.org/tprisjw4n/image.jpg
nithinrao

Post by nithinrao »

triplus wrote:First one is solved:

Discussion here:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4066&start=0

well what i understand from the discussion is that we now have a dialog box that asks if you really want to delete. But my point was that this is not necessary in case of deleting contraints of the objects(say lines or curves or points). The 'Cant delete object' pops up when we try to delete the contraints too.

I am testing this on the unstable 0,14 version downloaded from the website. My bad if this has already been fixed in a newer version.
pperisin

Post by pperisin »

About git use for testers - I do not think we should complicate things - there is no need for creating local branches or anything.
We can simply learn people how to:

1 - List branches:

Code: Select all

git branch --all

2 - checkout remote branches:

git checkout origin/jriegel/dev-assembly
NOTE: origin/jriegel/dev-assembly is just one entry that you get with command 1. so in order to see what you can checkout use command 1.
NOTE: To checkout master do not checkout master, but origin/master

3 - sync local repo with remote, or get latest features in all branches;

git fetch
NOTE: after git fetch you need to checkout once again, since fetch will not update files on hdd, but only internal git repository.

Other commands testers will almost never use are:
a - In case checkout does not work (git says that there are local changes - remove local changes):

git stash
b -command that is executed only once to download everything from internet - everyone already used it:

git clone ...
IMO this is it for testers to be able to test any branch. All other commands, like pull (which requires remote-tracking branches), creating local branches etc. are really unnecessary for testers, and will just confuse them.

Regards,
Petar
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

But i already knew it and why it happens, i was only trying to make a point to get in the direction selector.
Yes wmayer added this feature and now you can control the direction from the property view.
well what i understand from the discussion is that we now have a dialog box that asks if you really want to delete. But my point was that this is not necessary in case of deleting contraints of the objects(say lines or curves or points). The 'Cant delete object' pops up when we try to delete the contraints too.
This was fixed/changed in a way:

1.) You don't get pop up anymore when editing sketch and trying to delete something inside of the sketch.
2.) You do get pop up when for example you are trying to delete the whole sketch you used Pad or Pocket... operation on BUT now you can override this and delete it anyway.
I am testing this on the unstable 0,14 version downloaded from the website. My bad if this has already been fixed in a newer version.
I don't know about other platforms how often they get a "daily build" i use Ubuntu and on daily PPA first feature already landed the second one i imagine will be available soon!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

nithinrao wrote:I am testing this on the unstable 0,14 version downloaded from the website. My bad if this has already been fixed in a newer version.
When discussing FreeCAD it is always relevant to mention the EXACT version number including the 4-digit revision number, along with your operating system. But the best really is to go to Help --> About FreeCAD and use the "Copy to clipboard" button.

If you are using Windows you need to wait for a new version to be compiled. Us on Ubuntu get those updates automatically 24 hours after the source code has been changed.