Tutorials for 0.14 PartDesign

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: Tutorials for 0.14 PartDesign

Post by sliptonic »

In tutorial 1: I've doing the part to make the cuts for the sealing rings. I've duplicated the sketch, mapped it to the face and pocketed it up to the datum plane. So far, so good. But this only affects one side of the part. The next part of the tutorial shows cuts on both sides. I assume that either a) I need to repeat the process for the other side or b) there's make the pocketing symmetric to the XY plane so that it does both cuts at the same time. Will you please clarify which it is?

This is really great functionality and feels quite stable (I haven't crashed yet :D
Thanks for doing these tutorials.
jrheinlaender

Post by jrheinlaender »

I assume that either a) I need to repeat the process for the other side or b) there's make the pocketing symmetric to the XY plane so that it does both cuts at the same time. Will you please clarify which it is?
Its a) . The tutorial says "Since the sealing ring on the other side will only have a diameter of 55mm, the cut-out can be 65mm here. " and feel free to edit it to make it more clear that there is a pocket on each side!
Vcoder

Post by Vcoder »

Hi!

I am trying to do the tutorial http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... Tutorial_I but met a problem in the beginning while creating the 1st sketch. I press the "Create an edge linked to an external geometry" button but when I put cursor over the datum plane I see message at status line "Not allowed: Unnamed.DatumPlane.Plane".

How can I use datum plane as external geometry like that tutorial?

Here is info of FreeCAD used:

Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.2917 (Git)
Branch: jriegel/dev-assembly
Hash: e4c8a8d20d6d15dfeccc6c7cf2597d189e227bb4
Python version: 2.7.4
Qt version: 4.8.4
Coin version: 3.1.3
SoQt version: 1.5.0
OCC version: 6.5.0
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Are you sure you compiled the correct branch? The big warning at the top of the tutorial page does not indicate the same branch as you have in your FreeCAD info.
Attachments
PD_BearingHolderTutorial_warning.png
PD_BearingHolderTutorial_warning.png (55.73 KiB) Viewed 3363 times
jrheinlaender

Post by jrheinlaender »

Its the right branch. I need to change the notice because my branch has since been merged into jriegels
jrheinlaender

Post by jrheinlaender »

Congratulations. You found a bug.

Hope you haven't given up yet. Its fixed in this branch and will hopefully ome into jriegel/dev-assembly soon.

https://github.com/jrheinlaender/FreeCA ... partdesign

Its really valuable to have people like you to take a fresh look at the tutorials. Please go on and give feed back here!