Hole feature

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jriegel
Founder

Re: Hole feature

Post by jriegel »

Would be also possible to use one sketch for the shape and one for the positioning.

Using a sketch for positioning has several advantages. You have all the tools for Datums and external geo in place and don't need to bother the user with additional tools....
Stop whining - start coding!
eivindkvedalen

Post by eivindkvedalen »

Yes, it is possible to always use two sketches to define a hole (position + profile). However, I think this is the exception and not the common case. I think using a sketch for the profile is unnecessary most of the time if the hole feature is parameterized properly. This is what I have tried to do in my implementation; use a sketch for positioning one or more holes, then parameters (thread profile, etc) to describe the holes.
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

This is what I have tried to do in my implementation; use a sketch for positioning one or more holes, then parameters (thread profile, etc) to describe the holes.
This is absolutely true! Making non standard holes is a very rare case. 99.9% of the holes are for standard screws or have standard threads and phases! So for me the parametric hole is the most important, and this one need fore sure only the positioning sketch.

But if Jan wants to make a additional feature for more complicated and special cases, why not. But to be honest, thats not a hole anymore and you can do it with a revolve and cut feature by hand...
jrheinlaender

Post by jrheinlaender »

This does not really answer my question. What if I want to move the hole from where it lies on a surface?
I can't quite remember what placement options I implemented. But theoretically all these are possible:
- Three datum planes (or a mixture of datum planes/faces)
- Plane/face and axis/edge
- Two edges/axes
- Datum point/vertex
- Point from sketch
- circle axis and face/plane
- cylinder axis and face/plane
etc. etc.
Its just a matter of implementing them. For example, when I started the Hole feature there was no such thing as datum planes/lines/points inf FC yet.
jrheinlaender

Post by jrheinlaender »

99.9% of the holes are for standard screws or have standard threads and phases!
My hole feature/wizard is geared towards standard holes with countersink, counterbore, tapped or through. The most important standards are already included so you can create a hole by specifiying the standard you want and the diameter/length.
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

Great!
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

What is the status on that branch?
eivindkvedalen

Post by eivindkvedalen »

jriegel wrote:What is the status on that branch?
I haven't done any work on this lately, but rebasing it on the latest jriegel/dev-assembly works fine. However, if you consider integrating into master, I would like to add the standards that are in the jrheinlaender/FeatureBore branch (only generic metric and imperial are there now).

Eivind
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

Yes please. Integrate all stuff there and
rebase on jriegel/dev-assembly.