What's new in PartDesign Next

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Fat-Zer

Re: What's new in PartDesign Next

Postby Fat-Zer » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:43 pm

DeepSOIC, nice list up...

DeepSOIC wrote:4.4 Mirrored , Polar Pattern, Linear Pattern and Multitransform now can transform multiple features at once.

As a bore I have to notice that It was possible in the old partDesign as well, but the implementation was a bit broken... To be honest it was one of the reason why I've got interest so much in this branch because of :roll:

DeepSOIC wrote:2.3 Part can be placed. Everything contained in the Part is translated/rotated, without causing a recompute. The links to outside of Part will be as if the Part is at the origin, so even a forced recompute will not alter the geometry of the Part. (As far as I understand, this is the fundamental difference that was required to make Assembly work.)

Also should be noted that Parts have nothing to do with PartDesign (At least I suppose they won't in the nearest future)... It's a general object.
realthunder

Postby realthunder » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:05 pm

I was about to post a question of how people are supposed to use PartDesign, until I decided to search first and found this post. I started using FreeCAD at around version 0.13, and started with PartDesign, and got burned pretty quickly. You know, when you are about ten or twenty steps into a part design and decided to change the constraint on the first few steps, and suddenly all hell break loose. I've since switched to Part and developed the habit of always clear Sketch support when possible. I always wondering why would any one want to use PartDesign in the first place ( also, why there is no dedicated button to clear sketch support :). But now, it seems it's time to give it a second try, especially with the emerging assembly capability.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:12 pm

You found a post that is 1 1/2 year old - and still top news! Well, sort of. You may rather have a look at one of the pinned topics in the help section. There are great examples linked: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15432