Part Design Roadmap

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ickby
Veteran

Re: Part Design Roadmap

Post by ickby »

Hello Jim
Is there any chance this work is advanced enough yet to consider pushing it to master?
Not yet :) we are getting close, and I have a few fixes on my harddrive which are not yet pushed, so I think the workflow works quite well already. But the migration workflow will need some more attention. Furthermore it would be Harakiri to merge it in the master now as it will break many things, this needs to be done after a release.

currently the most advanced work is here: https://github.com/Fat-Zer/FreeCAD_sf_m ... mmits/AMM2 This workplace will replace normal PartDesign, so no parallel workbenches for old and new workflow.
I don't want to see all this important work become stale, and its must be pretty demotivating to see your work not making it to master for so long, I find it so at least.
We will finish it :) it is just that we all have so little time and also other things we want to get done (me FEM stuff for example) But I hope to hold the roadmap to merge right after the next release.
I was hoping it would begin to arrive a few years ago
Hehe so was I :) I actiually startet my involvement in FreeCAD to help getting it done with the solver implementation, but well, did not work out that way. But we will make it eventually!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

:? looks like it's stale again. EDIT: I typed that before seeing ickby's comment ;)
Thanks for motivation, Jim!

As for me myself - after having tried Python, I don't want to do any more C++ in FreeCAD. That's a problem!
And not unexpectedly, my interest is shifting back to hardware stuff, after a spark of programming that lasted for about a year.

I am not leaving FreeCAD alone by any means, because it's my main tool for 3d modeling. But I expect myself to do much less coding in near future (and I wasn't coding much at all before now, to be honest).

Another reason I am leaving coding FreeCAD, is because I have removed most of show-stoppers for me, which were:
* vulnerable links (I have opened lots of workarounds for myself)
* limited external geometry in sketcher (this opened Part workbench for me, so now I can add and remove features easily).
* lack of touchscreen navigation
Please excuse me for being a bit selfish :P

That doesn't mean I won't code any more C++. It may happen, if I get into a situation where I can't do anything other than spend time in front of a computer (for example, like I was stuck in hospital this summer).
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

DeepSOIC wrote::? looks like it's stale again. EDIT: I typed that before seeing ickby's comment ;)
Thanks for motivation, Jim!
Yeah, Jim is good at keeping the motivation... :)
DeepSOIC wrote:As for me myself - after having tried Python, I don't want to do any more C++ in FreeCAD. That's a problem!
Oh, well. That is bad... it happened to me with C#, until I realised of what I was missing... life cycles I guess...
DeepSOIC wrote:And not unexpectedly, my interest is shifting back to hardware stuff, after a spark of programming that lasted for about a year.
Life cycle again. I undergo my recovery from the C# overdose by shifting to hardware (electronics) and assembly and C coding of microcontrollers. After a programming rush, I still need some hardware to detox. I guess your hardware is more mechanics related, but hey, it is hardware at the end...
DeepSOIC wrote:I am not leaving FreeCAD alone by any means, because it's my main tool for 3d modeling. But I expect myself to do much less coding in near future (and I wasn't coding much at all before now, to be honest).
This I really hope is a life cycle!!!
DeepSOIC wrote:That doesn't mean I won't code any more C++. It may happen, if I get into a situation where I can't do anything other than spend time in front of a computer (for example, like I was stuck in hospital this summer).
Oh well. I hope that you code for FreeCAD (c++ or else) without any physical/health limitation being at the source of it.

I finish my hi-jack of this thread, just providing some motivation here to merge after the release :)
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

ickby wrote:This workplace will replace normal PartDesign, so no parallel workbenches for old and new workflow.
I see, I miss understood that.
dwizeno

Post by dwizeno »

ickby wrote: ...
I don't want to see all this important work become stale, and its must be pretty demotivating to see your work not making it to master for so long, I find it so at least.
We will finish it :) it is just that we all have so little time and also other things we want to get done (me FEM stuff for example) But I hope to hold the roadmap to merge right after the next release.
I'm actually holding off doing much work in FreeCAD by lack of a long term supported assembly module. So I really do hope you guys can meet the next release. I'm new to FreeCAD so I may very well be missing out on (viable) alternative working procedures. Yet, having used AutoDesk Inventor a bit, I really miss assemblies.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

dwizeno wrote:
ickby wrote: ...
I'm actually holding off doing much work in FreeCAD by lack of a long term supported assembly module. So I really do hope you guys can meet the next release. I'm new to FreeCAD so I may very well be missing out on (viable) alternative working procedures. Yet, having used AutoDesk Inventor a bit, I really miss assemblies.
yeah but ....there are work arounds for more simple things, for example try grouping things in Part WB with Part menu..Compound. Draft move with snaps works quite well but of course without any constraints to update any changes.

I have been waiting for Assembly for years ...its a very big complex thing though

if you want to wait, that's fine but you might end up like this
Wheelchair-Man-300px.png
Wheelchair-Man-300px.png (16.03 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
or even this
rip-tombstone-hi-300px.png
rip-tombstone-hi-300px.png (7.08 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
unless of course you are offering to help then perhaps you will only look like this when its finished

cuteladyoldman-300px.png
cuteladyoldman-300px.png (13.43 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
dwizeno

Post by dwizeno »

:) was simply showing the work going on is appreciated.
I'm fairly proficient in python coding, about 10years ago not too shabby with C and C++ either. Never used git, used to use CVS.
This the right way to get started?
git clone https://github.com/blobfish/FreeCAD_sf_master.git -b rebaseMaster --single-branch ./free-cad-ass-code

Not sure I could be of much use since I've got no clue on FreeCAD's internals... yet.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

dwizeno wrote::) was simply showing the work going on is appreciated.
great! I was trying to be amusing with the pictures, no offence intended. :)
dwizeno wrote:I'm fairly proficient in python coding, about 10years ago not too shabby with C and C++ either. Never used git, used to use CVS.
We moved to git not all that long ago, its much more flexible and hence can perhaps become more complex....but I suspect you will like it and its decentralised.
dwizeno wrote:This the right way to get started?
git clone https://github.com/blobfish/FreeCAD_sf_master.git -b rebaseMaster --single-branch ./free-cad-ass-code
from memory, I think that is correct or certainly close at least but its not how I would or do do it. All that will achieve is a single branch. What I do is keep one local repository with just official master from github from which I compile pretty much daily. Every time you switch between git branches it slows down an incremental build of FreeCAD. But then I have another (actually some others) local repository that I add dev branches to. If it is a dev branch that I will be following for a long time then sometimes I will make a new repository so that I do not have to change its branch very often.

I add various developer's development branches to my working "many dev branches" repository and you can add different "remotes" which means git can pull different FreeCAD git branches from different servers or different developers' github accounts etc. and yet keep all of them in this one local repository.

Honestly the easiest way to do more than simple things is to use Git Cola which is a GUI git tool for all but the most simple common command line git commands. But that is assuming you are running Linux. From Git cola you can also view history and run diffs etc.
dwizeno wrote:I'm fairly proficient in python coding, about 10years ago not too shabby with C and C++ either. Never used git, used to use CVS.
dwizeno wrote:Not sure I could be of much use since I've got no clue on FreeCAD's internals... yet.
The best thing is to start with some really simple stuff, even as basic as just fixing some typos and gradually build up your knowledge as you become familiar with the code.

Testing and reporting good quality bug reports helps.
dwizeno

Post by dwizeno »

jmaustpc wrote: Honestly the easiest way to do more than simple things is to use Git Cola which is a GUI git tool for all but the most simple common command line git commands. But that is assuming you are running Linux. From Git cola you can also view history and run diffs etc.
jmaustpc wrote: The best thing is to start with some really simple stuff, even as basic as just fixing some typos and gradually build up your knowledge as you become familiar with the code.

Testing and reporting good quality bug reports helps.
It seems I'll have to get me a 'Git Cola' and hunt the bugs it attracts.
Sorry for derailing the poster's thread, this was my last post in this thread.
CharlieMAC

Post by CharlieMAC »

The link to git is broken. Could you guys fix it?